fuge effectiveness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are somewhat effective at nitrate removal depending on certain variables. My fuge serves mainly as a pod factory for my fish and corals, inverts, etc. Though with the right planning you can have an effective nitrate removing refugium. For that you will naturally need as you mentioned a DSB, plenty of macroalgae. good lighting, and I would recommend using mineral mud and planting mangroves.

IMO the are extremely effective. I have a 20 tall on my 125 and a 20 on my fowlr and they are great. If I did it over again I would not have a DSB in them and run a small SB with lr rubble and microalgaes. I have pc lights on both and they work will. IMO worth the money to set one up. I keep small fish in my 20 long that would not be able to make it with large fish..
I used to run nitrates in the 125 reef around 10-15 now 0 all the time and I am not the best guy for keeping up on water changes.. I also run more fish the recomended.

Back
Top Bottom