Fuge lighting schedual

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Godfrey

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are your opinions on when refugium lights should be on. I've read conflicting articles. Should I run the light while the dt lights are on or while they are off and for how long

I'm planning on using live rock rubble, cheato, and a 20" marineland reef capable led light I have laying around. And my display tank lights run from noon to 10( 1hr blue, 8hours blue and white, 1 hour blue) and those are 2 120 w dimmable reef breeders

What are your opinions???

I run mine all day long. Just a simple shop light that cost 8 bucks. If you are buying the light, try that route as it is so much cheaper. Can't argue with reusing it you already have it though.

I run mine on an opposite schedule to the dt to help minimize ph swings.

This is the normally recommended schedule for running a refugium and at the very least I would stick to this.

I run mine all day long. Just a simple shop light that cost 8 bucks. If you are buying the light, try that route as it is so much cheaper. Can't argue with reusing it you already have it though.

I run my refugium all day long as well. I have 2 of the clip on shop lights with some fairly powerful 6500k CFL bulbs in them as I found one wasn't quite powerful enough to grow my grape caulerpa. The only problems are that plants generally need a rest period of darkness however I haven't found that to be a necessary tactic. I have been consistently pulling 1lb of grape caulerpa out of my refugium every month and now my chaeto is finally growing obscenely fast as well.

I like to give any life in the refugium a night time period so I run mine for about 8 hours. I would be running it opposite the DT but I also have corals in there and need that light to be on during the day. Also, it's in a tank room, and not under a stand, so running it opposite would also light the DT up pretty well.

Thanks for the input I think I'll start mine at 6pm snd run it till noon that way it's on while my dt is off and ill have a little light when I get home to do my maintenance. Besides cheato what are some other good types to grow without the risk of it going sexual and wiping out my tank

Nothing I would recommend. I prefer different types of caulerpa over chaeto, sexual or not. BTW, I've never seen it do that. I believe, and it's been my experience, that- as long as you prune it on occasion, before it get's so packed in there, there's no room, you'll be fine.

I had my grape caulerpa go sexual at one point. There was a single t8 light over my fuge and it just wasn't enough light. I added a clip on shop light in addition to the t8 and haven't had a single issue since.

The caulerpa seems to be a faster grower than chaeto and weighs substantially more. Based on that, without having tested them separately on how fast they consume nutrients, I would assume the caulerpa is quite a bit superior for nutrient export.

Back
Top Bottom