Fuge Qusetion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to add my fuge in line with my system this weekend. It may or may not be big enough but it's 40 gallons and i wanted to get the consensus on what is the best stuff to add to the fuge for proper function and best long term effects. HUGE THANKS,

A 40 gal fuge on a 150 tank sounds fine for size.

Now to confuse you even more. :twisted: What function do you want the fuge to perform. :mrgreen:

Ok now your thinking WTHeck is he rambling about. A fuge is a fuge right? Well not exactly. There are different types of fuges for different strokes. Now most folks when they setup a fuge their intent is to grow macro algae for filtration and possibly tang food but there are other reasons to do a fuge. For example your intent might be to provide a spot for pods to grow to feed your tank or you might desire a place for your mantis to live and keep your snails and hermits safe or you might want to setup a mangrove fuge.

The most popular fuge would be the macro algae fuge and for this you will probably want a shallow sand bed (you could put your DSB in the fuge and keep the tank bed shallow aswell). A few medium chunks of live rock to hold down your macro algae and then a your favorate macro algae. LIghting should be on a reverse cycle as compaired to your tank so as to provide some level of PH stablization.

Whats the best algae to go with, I have everything ready to go but the algae.

I have 2 balls of chaeto and two handfulls of caulerpa. Because of the Caulerpa I'm lighting 24/7. I saw some pods running around in there last night. It was the first pods I've seen so far (we've had it for a month now seeded with macros from local reefers). It was cool to see them running around! I could still use to throw some rock rubble in there but right now I just have the macros and a DSB.

Back
Top Bottom