further amphipod inquiry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mephistopheles

Aquarium Advice Activist
After sifting through the posts in this forum, I think I have deduced that I have some amphipods (or "gross tiny shrimp" according to my girlfriend)living in my tank. But I haven't found anything dealing with the other phenomenon. I don't have the equipment to post a picture right now but they're tiny anyways and I'm mainly just concerned with whether they're connected with the amphipods in some way. They're basically like tiny white domes that stick to my glass and are very hard. I can scratch them off with my fingernail and they just sink to the bottom and then I don't know what becomes of them other than more are in there place in another week. Looking at the bottom of the dome (through the glass that is) I think I can see what is a spiral, as if something was curled up there. Now, I don't know anything about anything regarding marine invertibrates
so I don't know if it's a stage in the amphipod lifecycle or something completely different. I'll see what I can do about a picture. The last time I purchased LR was like 3 months ago. The domes appeared quickly after that but I haven't noticed the "gross tiny shrimp" untill last week. Any help, as always, will be greatly appreciated

Sounds like tube worms. They are neat but can be an eyesore. If you don't like them, just scrape them off.

They are spirorbid worms. They are a type of mini feather duster. If you look with a magnifying glass you will see the feather head. When my tank was newer I had thousands of them. They have been decreasing over time. They are harmless filter feeders and nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom