Gap between tank and stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Imzadi7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a 40 breeder tank and a metal stand from Petco. When the tank is sitting on the stand, there is a gap of around a credit card size on the one end of the tank. It runs from the middle to the one side. If I use a level, both the tank and the stand are level all the way around. Is this something I should try to shim or fix or will it be okay? It just seems odd that everything is level but the tank still has a gap.

I'd be weary, it may hold water fine, but the gap under it could cause stress on the silicone joins over time. I had one leak from a similar issue.
Easy way to help it though is just a sheet of polystyrene (i'm sure any home depot store should have some) between the tank and stand. If you don't like the look of it, you can put some black duct-tape around the sides and you will never notice it again :)

I thought about maybe getting some Styrofoam and putting in between the tank and stand. I wonder if the bottom of tank could be crooked? It just seems odd that everything would be level.

Go to home depot and get some shim shingle, just push them in as tight as you can by hand, cut carefully with a knife and snap them off. Done!! Walk away, or dance.. up to you..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I thought about maybe getting some Styrofoam and putting in between the tank and stand. I wonder if the bottom of tank could be crooked? It just seems odd that everything would be level.

The hand-made sump i bought before was about an inch wider at one end than the other, makes sense that they could be taller at one end lol?

The hand-made sump i bought before was about an inch wider at one end than the other, makes sense that they could be taller at one end lol?

That's true but you'd think with manufactured aquariums that there'd be some quality control. :lol:

Tried unscrewing the stand and readjusting it but there's still a bit of a gap. Just don't know whether to chance it or not. Most all of my older stands were wood and didn't have this issue.

It's the stand being uneven rather than the tank. I would shim it and fill the tank with water. Keep an eye on it and there shouldn't be any issues.

It's the stand being uneven rather than the tank. I would shim it and fill the tank with water. Keep an eye on it and there shouldn't be any issues.

Good point, I'll just have to figure out the best shim material. I keep hearing now how styrofoam isn't good to use because it can compress. Maybe a rubber mat? If I can find one.

I have been using styrofoam under my tanks ( from 10 gals to 300 gals) for decades and that's what I would use for your issue. The reason you use styro is so that it CAN compress where it needs to without putting pressure on the glass causing it to break. When you use solid shimming materials, the glass has nowhere to shift to so it cracks. Even with the floating base frame, I still use styro and don't have leaking tanks. The 4 corners are the most important places to have support so if you are not outlining the whole stand ( which is recommended), make sure you have a good amount of styro at the corners.

Hope this helps (y)

I have been using styrofoam under my tanks ( from 10 gals to 300 gals) for decades and that's what I would use for your issue. The reason you use styro is so that it CAN compress where it needs to without putting pressure on the glass causing it to break. When you use solid shimming materials, the glass has nowhere to shift to so it cracks. Even with the floating base frame, I still use styro and don't have leaking tanks. The 4 corners are the most important places to have support so if you are not outlining the whole stand ( which is recommended), make sure you have a good amount of styro at the corners.

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks Andy. Is there any particular thickness you recommend?

That's a good idea there, i use dense rubber but I feel the Styrofoam would be better for inconsistencies. They sell all types at home depot, I'm guessing 3/8" to 1/2" would be the best..

That's a good idea there, i use dense rubber but I feel the Styrofoam would be better for inconsistencies. They sell all types at home depot, I'm guessing 3/8" to 1/2" would be the best..

I was thinking, styrofoam can be a bit slick, I wonder if there's any chance of a tank sliding off the stand? Maybe that sounds silly. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Haha, it's a long shot...

Well I have a couple of rambunctious dogs. ?

Than maybe the tank is a bad idea all together

Attachments

• 1412687672518.jpg
    1412687672518.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 550

What I use is found in the insulation dept at Home Depot or Lowe's. It's 5/8" thick and comes in a pack of 5 or 7 sheets ( can't remember :facepalm:). I'll use it single level if the tank is under 50 gals and double layered if the tank is above that. As I said, we used a double layer on our store's 300 gal tank ( 8' x 2' x 30") and it had no problems.
As for slipping, the styro will indent some so there is little chance of slipping but pushing the tank by the dogs could be an issue ( especially if it's a dog the size in Brookster's pic :lol:) so I would do a full cover of the stand and not just the corners. But the reality is that you need to feel confident that it will work so if it will give you better peace of mind, double up on the layers. It's not going to hurt anything if you do. (y)

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks Andy, that's very helpful. I'll check it out.

Well I checked out Home Depot and Lowes and Lowes was the only one that had the right kind of insulation sheets but they were $45 for a pack of 6 or 8. That's pretty expensive when I only need one sheet. Need to look at something else I guess.

Back
Top Bottom