gas exchange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Because SW doesn't exchange oxygen as well as FW and limited gas exchange in a fully stocked tank can suffocate your fish. That's why we recommend 15+ turnover for tanks with good surface agitation.

tecwzrd said:
Because SW doesn't exchange oxygen as well as FW and limited gas exchange in a fully stocked tank can suffocate your fish. That's why we recommend 15+ turnover for tanks with good surface agitation.

(y) (y)

im sure the 15+ turnover helps contribute to oxygenization. but why dont sw people ever use airators like fw tanks?

Because the small amount of surface agitation (where the oxygen exchanges) that air stones create isn't enough movement to create the oxygen levels required in SW but is enough for FW tanks. I still used power heads and strong circulation in my FW tanks personally though even though it was over kill. I never liked having to clean the clogged air stones myself.

Also some deep water corals like sponges can die if exposed to air bubbles.

Water movement alone doesn't create the oxygen which is why it's important to aim your powerheads towards the surface to agitate the surface. If you have an overflow/sump then it's not an issue and you can place your output lower since the action of the water falling will oxygenate your water.

That's also why we recommend topless tanks to keep carbon dioxide from building up which will affect ph levels and keep oxygen from exchanging as well.

I definitely agree that surface aggitation is where we get our aeration for SW tanks. I have both my returns at surface level to create as much surface aggitation as possible.

my surface is pretty agitated as well, it makes the light ripple through the water(well the shallower areas at least) and it looks cool.

Back
Top Bottom