Gasping Mystery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sinibotia

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I just got some GORGEOUS angelfish from the user Popparyno. Probably the nicest looking angelfish I've seen outside of the altum tank at Mystic Aquarium. They're the best wedding gift we'll ever get :lol: (Ok, done plugging)

Yesterday I noticed that the angels seemed to be gasping at the surface of the water, which of course is an obvious bad sign. However, they didn't look distressed, like they were struggling; they were more mouthing the surface than gasping. Gill movement seemed relatively normal and their color was good. They weren't doing it persistantly, but rather intermittently for around 5 minutes at a time. None of the other fish showed any of this behavior.

Tank parameters are 0/0/15, pH 7.4, hardness around 4 gh and 8 kh.

This is a 20 gallon tank with 16 glowlight tetras, two peppered corydoras (yeah I need to up that school :facepalm: ) and these two young angels. The angels are getting moved to a 29 gallon tank by themselves soon but for now they're growing out in this tank (still only about quarter sized). Tank has been up for 10 months now.

Filtration is some sort of off-brand HOB rated for 40 gallons and (of course) a sponge filter.

Last change was about a week ago. It's sand substrate so I just suck detritus off the top; no gravel vacuuming. I do a water change every week or two. 40-75% depending on the nitrate level. Last week I did 90% just to get the tank spotless for the new arrivals.

Fish came last thursday. I floated them for 30 minutes, added a cup of tank water to the bag, floated another 30 and then added the fish.

Nothing new in the tank.

I feed them a mix of flakes, NLS cichlid pellets, and frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. This is fairly similar to their previous diet.

I'm honestly just perplexed and probably being paranoid, since the fish seem fine other than this behavior. I suspect it was just an odd behavior quirk, but of course I'll keep watching. The last thing I want to do is lose these fish. Better safe than sorry!

(PS this was first noticed last night about an hour after I fed them. And I haven't seen them behave like that when hungry so I don't think that's what it was)

Just to be safe, drop the water level to get more agitation from the HOB, add an airstone, or otherwise add more oxygen to the water.

I've been doing some studying and I've read that fish can be low on O2 without showing obvious signs of distress. Gasping at the surface is suspicious to me. I'd take a better safe than sorry approach on it.

P.S. I'd do a PWC as well, 25 to 50%. There may be something unseen that is affecting them. Sometimes we just have treat symptom and never know the cause. What I'm suggesting is very benign, but may just alleviate the gasping.

Just to be safe, drop the water level to get more agitation from the HOB, add an airstone, or otherwise add more oxygen to the water.

I've been doing some studying and I've read that fish can be low on O2 without showing obvious signs of distress. Gasping at the surface is suspicious to me. I'd take a better safe than sorry approach on it.

The sponge filter is driven by an airstone so I'd be shocked if it was low oxygen. They've mostly stopped at this point. I think it's just them being hungry; they're absolute pigs :lol:

The sponge filter is driven by an airstone so I'd be shocked if it was low oxygen. They've mostly stopped at this point. I think it's just them being hungry; they're absolute pigs :lol:

When I read your post I missed the sponge filter. Glad they are okay. Lol, on them being pigs. So are my tetras. Very hearty eaters to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom