GBOY & NUNU 30 gal saltwater build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Austin.b said:
Haha ran out?

Haha no we never had saltwater declorinater (is there a differance between saltwater and freshwater dechlorinater?)
And we have been doing water changes an stuff

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha no we never had saltwater declorinater (is there a differance between saltwater and freshwater dechlorinater?)
And we have been doing water changes an stuff

Many who don't have RO water usually dechlorinate FW then add salt mix

Yes, that is. Thanks guys.

So does anyone have any imput on pistol shrimp? I know there are several types of peaceful pistols, but any first hand experience or suggestions?

Also, in another thread, i was wondering about torch coral placement. I plan on getting this coral eventually (in a long time;)) and was wondering where you all put torch corals. I know they need alot of space, so i was thinking the sandbed! Could i put it right up against the base of a rock, but on the sand? Or do i need to place the coral on the sandbed, with small pieces of rock around it so it can expand? Thanks guys...

Yes, that is. Thanks guys.

So does anyone have any imput on pistol shrimp? I know there are several types of peaceful pistols, but any first hand experience or suggestions?

Also, in another thread, i was wondering about torch coral placement. I plan on getting this coral eventually (in a long time;)) and was wondering where you all put torch corals. I know they need alot of space, so i was thinking the sandbed! Could i put it right up against the base of a rock, but on the sand? Or do i need to place the coral on the sandbed, with small pieces of rock around it so it can expand? Thanks guys...

I love this coral too. When I get it, I will put it in the sand bed with not a ton of corals around (because of the space they need). I don't see any problems with your idea, and I also think that they grow taller too (they don't just grow outward they also grow upward. :)

Great! Now what are you going to do? Surround it with rocks? Or could they just grow right on the sandbed?

redsea said:
I would probably surround it with some rocks so it could expand if it felt like it. :)

Cool, thats what ill do! Know anything else about this coral? Lighting, flow..etc?

Cool! With a 4 bulb T5 would it get enough light?

Also, i dont want to add stuff too quickly. SO, when can i add the next corals, fish, and inverts? Could i get a group opinion?

Thanks

Cool! With a 4 bulb T5 would it get enough light?

Also, i dont want to add stuff too quickly. SO, when can i add the next corals, fish, and inverts? Could i get a group opinion?

Thanks
Sorry, I am not sure about the light. I struggle the most in the field of equipment. :) I am getting better though.

Not 100% sure on the next additions. I would think that slowly adding inverts and corals would be ok since they lack a heavy bio-load. Maybe you could add the smallest fish on your list in a week or two? Just rough estimations. :)

redsea said:
Sorry, I am not sure about the light. I struggle the most in the field of equipment. :) I am getting better though.

Not 100% sure on the next additions. I would think that slowly adding inverts and corals would be ok since they lack a heavy bio-load. Maybe you could add the smallest fish on your list in a week or two? Just rough estimations. :)

Haha thats okay!

Yea..i was thinking a fish in 2-3 weeks? Then when can i add inverts and coral? I have always heard that they have a very small bioload and stuff, but then i was told i was stocking too fast? Just wondering!!

Haha thats okay!

Yea..i was thinking a fish in 2-3 weeks? Then when can i add inverts and coral? I have always heard that they have a very small bioload and stuff, but then i was told i was stocking too fast? Just wondering!!

Yep, you have the right idea, slower is always better. :)

Also, when you add new critters to your tank, just keep an eye on your parameters to make sure that there isn't any spikes in ammonia. :)

redsea said:
Yep, you have the right idea, slower is always better. :)

Also, when you add new critters to your tank, just keep an eye on your parameters to make sure that there isn't any spikes in ammonia. :)

Great, thanks! Your help is appreciated red sea!

Interested in any other opinions too!

Chill and let it ride.... but you already knew that was my opinion. The tank is very newly cycled and far from mature.

Cautious optimism serves the hobbyist far better than overconfidence. Sorry to reiterate, but IMHO it's an extremely important lesson. Not only will it save you money, but with the overwhelming majority of the animals in the marine hobby being wild caught, it is just the responsible mindset. Let's all have some respect for the animals that are being plucked from the wild to please us in glass boxes. Just tryin' to put it in perspective.

Last edited:
I understand SM. Im doin my best to take it slow! Could you give me an idea of how long to wait from this point, until i should add inverts and coral? I know fish, 3 weeks.

Thats a great point you brought up, and one that really made me question the hobby at first. But i have found out about tank bred fish, and home grown coral. Our little clown is tank bred, actually. Thats what i want to do, at least for as many fish as possible..

I understand SM. Im doin my best to take it slow! Could you give me an idea of how long to wait from this point, until i should add inverts and coral? I know fish, 3 weeks.

Thats a great point you brought up, and one that really made me question the hobby at first. But i have found out about tank bred fish, and home grown coral. Our little clown is tank bred, actually. Thats what i want to do, at least for as many fish as possible..

That is a great goal to have. I heard that if things keep going the way they are right now, the reefs could be gone by the 2060's. Of course these estimates could be way off, but it is something scary to think of.

Thanks! It will probably be more costly, but i think itll be worth it.

Wow! What an estimate! Lets all just hope for the best..

Thanks! It will probably be more costly, but i think itll be worth it.

Wow! What an estimate! Lets all just hope for the best..

Definitely. Especially with fish like the Bangaii Cardinal, since they are only found around the Bangaii islands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom