General hardness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lozo_fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank general hardness is high on my freshwater tank how do I lower it?

Typically, this is caused by using tap water with a high general hardness. General hardness can be reduced by replacing water with a mix of tap water (with high general hardness) and reverse osmosis or distilled water at water changes. The ratio of the mix depends on the desired gH.

It is very important to mix RO/DI water with the tap, adding straight RO/DI water can harm fishies.

Do anyone know where I can get that kind of water from?

What exactly is your gh and kh? What test kit are you using or are you using test strips? What fish are you keeping?

Unless you have certain delicate fish or certain inverts generally a tanks ph/kh/gh doesn't need to be adjusted as most can acclimate to the levels. It's much better for ph/kh/gh to be stable than to try adjusting it.

If a tank has to have certain ph/kh/gh levels using RO water to lower levels has to be done carefully and consistently each week so you keep levels the same. I don't suggest messing with your water unless absolutely necessary.

Oh okay just seem my oscar fish are acting different & I used the strips to test the water.

They are very messy fish and toxins can build up quickly in their tank. What is the tank size and how many Oscars and their sizes?

It's a 55g tank,they are kind of big. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396113247.420910.jpg
Here is a picture of them in the tank.

They are going to need a much bigger tank and hope you are doing at least a 50% WC or two weekly. You also need to be running a canister filter and cleaning it every 2 to 3 weeks.

Yes I clean it every week & do about 40-50% wc but I was trading them in this weekend anyways because I knew they were getting to big for the tank. But thanks for the info

Also when I buy a canister filter how do I run it or have it work?

I run fluval 406's on my 55g tanks. Look up that filter and read about how it works.

Okay thanks. Does it just run from that filter or do you need another for it to run from? Can you maybe take a picture of you full setup so I can get a idea?

The pump is in the canister. It uses a siphon to bring water down, then pumps it back. The canister looks like a bucket (depending on brand of course)

Okay didn't mean anything wrong by it. It's just a simple little word

Back
Top Bottom