General Questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freppy16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1: Whats the difference between using RO/DI water as opposed to adding those tap water fixers that supposedly remove the chlorine and all the harmful things?

2: Is there such thing as over filtration. For example if i put a Fluval 405 canister filter on a 50 gallon tank is that too much?

Not positive on the first one. I believe ro/di removes all impurities from water such as iron which can be bad for a reef tank. Where as your dechlorinator just neutralizes the chlorine and heavy metals, it does not remove them from the water. (Someone correct me if I am wrong)

On the next one there is no such thing as over filtration. I am actually planning on using the fluval 405 on my 40 breeder tank. And I have 2 aquaclear 70s on my 36 gallon. So no worries. How do you like the 405?

1: Whats the difference between using RO/DI water as opposed to adding those tap water fixers that supposedly remove the chlorine and all the harmful things?

Your basically removing all dissolved minerals / buffers that are in the water.
If your trying to maintain a soft water tank ... RO/DI's the way to go if your tap is naturally hardwater. Problem with RO water is it's susceptible to pH swings since it lacks buffers that help stabilize pH.

2: Is there such thing as over filtration. For example if i put a Fluval 405 canister filter on a 50 gallon tank is that too much?

Yes and No ... One or even two Fluval 405's in a 50 gal is no big deal, but having say two FX5's in a 55 just becomes unnecessary. While you would have good 2 filters, you may not necessarily get any more effective filtration ... there's only so much BB that a tank's bio-load can support and adding more filters won't cause more BB to grow.

See the bold for answers

Back
Top Bottom