Best Phosphate Remover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a 250l freshwater tank with neon tetra, kulhi loach and Vallisneria (which is struggling). I am getting brown algae which I can control through weekly water changes but it comes back after 3 or 4 days. Water params are all as expected and fish doing fine although phosphate is quite high. 2ppm which is the same as my tap water. Any recommendations for a phosphate remover other than going to RO water? I have seen products such as Fluval Clearmax, Seachem Phosguard etc etc. but I don’t know what would be best. I currently have the Fluval phosphate pads in my Fluval 307 filter but they don’t seem to make any difference. Any advice welcome.

I'm a big fan of the poly filter pad (https://www.poly-bio-marine.com ) It will remove a lot more than just phosphates too. (y) I've been using them since they came out but more for medication removal and nitrate control.
You can use it one of 2 ways: In your existing filter so it pulls out what is already in the tank or set up a container for water for water changes ( I used plastic garbage cans) and run a filter in there with the pad so that there is no phosphates in the water before you add it to your tank. ( Option 2 is my preferred method since the filter will also remove ammonia and nitrite so eventually will effect your biological filter. I prefer to use the pad as a temporary pad not a permanent pad.)
Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom