General Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noone

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have some general questions that I wanna ask. Here it goes...

1)I feed Formula One flake to my beloved Clown and sometimes frozen brine (when I think about it). Is there anything I else I should be feeding. If so... what? (If a home recipe, please post it!)
2) I have 4 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs, 1 Emerald Crab, and 1 Banded Coral Shrimp. Do I need a better clean-up crew for my 10 gallon?
3)Is there anything I should be putting in my tank to keep it healthy?
4)How long should my lights be on daily? I have the Coralife 50/50 bulb that fits my 10 gallon light strip. (Sorry, don't know the wattage off the top of my head!) I plan on upgrading to a CF fixture sometime in the future.

That is about it... for now! TIA!

1) You don't NEED to feed anything else, but he may like a change every once in a while. Try mixing some greens into his diet (spirulina flakes) or maybe some mysis or anything to change it up for him.

2) According to how much you feed, you may be able to scrape by with that. But you may wanna consider a coupla snails or maybe a few more hermits, whatever you like.

3) We need to know a bit more about your system, for example if sandbed, liverock, to know. With a good natural system you should need no additives for a tank without any corals.

4) Up to you. probobly be ok and not have an algae breakout as long as you wanna leave em on, within reason.

I agree. I would ditch the brine shrimp as there is not nutritional value in it. Try feeding froozen mysis or krill. Look for shrimp that are wat is called "gut loaded" with vitamins and nutrients.

noone said:
1)I feed Formula One flake to my beloved Clown and sometimes frozen brine (when I think about it). Is there anything I else I should be feeding. If so... what? (If a home recipe, please post it!)

In addtion to a better variety of dried foods (as suggested by MACATUA), I'd look into some of the frozen foods. There are several brands out there and all of them, to my knowledge, are quality products...just don't feed too much.

2) I have 4 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs, 1 Emerald Crab, and 1 Banded Coral Shrimp. Do I need a better clean-up crew for my 10 gallon?
I would suggest, if you have sand as a substrate, some nassarius snails. Probably about 6. I'd also get 2-3 nerites or astreas for algae control.

3)Is there anything I should be putting in my tank to keep it healthy?

As long as you are doing weekly water changes...probably not. In a tank that size, it's VERY easy to overdose additives. The water changes should keep everything within acceptable parameters.

4)How long should my lights be on daily? I have the Coralife 50/50 bulb that fits my 10 gallon light strip. (Sorry, don't know the wattage off the top of my head!) I plan on upgrading to a CF fixture sometime in the future.

I would run them for about 12 hrs a day. I'd make the upgrade to the PC's before you try adding any corals though.

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I have about 5-7 pounds of live stuff in my tank. I say 5-7 because I cant remember the poundage of the large piece of rock. (I know, I need more!) I say stuff because I have 1-2 pounds of coral. (The kind that gets broken from the reef :cry:) I am not too happy about that, but when I was setting up my tank, my LFS suggested it. I want to remove it as I add more rock though.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom