German Blue Rams & Cockatoo Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharmz30

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I really love German blue rams and Cockatoo Cichlids. I am thinking about getting 1 German Blue ram and 2 cockatoo cichlids for my new 20 gallon tank.

My question is, has anyone ever kept both of these dwarf cichlids together? How do they get along? The LFS said as long as they are dwarf cichlids, I can keep them in my community tank with no problem - but just wanted any advice/opinions.

I also have a few other community-type fish in there at the moment.
Thanks

I have a electric blue ram and a cockatoo cichlid in my tank they flare at eachother but never fight or chase.

One of each im fixing to add a male apisto.

Stock is one of each plus

6xVon Rio tetras
1xFlame guorami
6xMarble Hatchets
4xKhuli Loaches
2xsnails

Attachments

• image-2840129949.jpg
    image-2840129949.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 351
i have an all male tank. it's 45 gals. i have 7 dwarf gouramis, 10 serape tetras, a blue apisto, german ram, xray tetras, bumblebee cat fish and a flag cichlid. they all get along just fine. no fighting. if you take females out of the equation they really don't have a reason to fight. this has been my experience. i've had them all together for the past 2 years.

alright great, thanks a lot! is it easy to sex the rams or apistos?

the fish store i go to separates the males and females. of course they could make a mistake but they haven't done it yet to me. tell them you want a male. i decided on all males for my tank because in most fish species the male has the most vibrant colors. also i didn't want to mess with fry and all that stuff. i really don't have any interest in breeding fish.

yea im not interested in breeding either, plus i heard the cockatoos become quite aggressive when they are breeding. i'll definitely ask my lfs but a lot of times it feels i know more about fish than them lol. are the german blue rams harder to sex especially when they're young?

Dwarf Cichlid Questions Answered

German Blue Ram

here are a few sites with some good information on dwarf cichlids and blue rams. it shows pics of the male and female ram. it is a bit harder to sex when they are young but the main things are that females have a pink belly and the black spot on their side shows little blue flecks in it. the male 's black spot is solid. read the article and it will give you other things to look for. i think you will love the rams but you must be dedicated to frequent water changes. i change out 25% of my water every third day. here's some pics of my rams.
36993-albums1744-picture13195.jpg

36993-albums1744-picture13191.jpg

36993-albums8518-picture32677.jpg

that's great information and your ram look great!

thanks a lot

i don't know why the site is coming up as "under construction." if you google that fish place lancaster, pa you can get on their site.

Back
Top Bottom