Getting back in the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you. That is very helpful. As a follow up, do gouramis and angels not do well in pairs? I have read about aggression issues with gbr if more than two are together. Can you tell me why 5? Just trying to figure it all out. Thank you for your help.

Also as a follow-up question. What order would you add the fish in?

In my experience angels and gourami's don't do well in same sex pairs (unless they are in a very large tank of 150g or more).... sometimes not well in opposite sex pairs if they aren't compatible with each other. Then there's the question if you want them to breed or not? If you don't want fry I'd stick to one male of each.

I meant to put 6 GBR. If you want a school of GBR there's different opinions as to what works or not.....some say 2 females to 1 male, some say 1 female to 1 male, some say all male or all female. I think it's going to depend on the specific GBRs you get. Some think all males will be aggressive since they will all try to establish territory and some have not had this problem. In a tank your size I think they would have adequate room for territory. Some who pair of males and females find that some don't pair off and get bullied by the ones paired off resulting in having to remove the odd ones out of the tank. Then some don't have that problem. A good person to talk to about GBRs is a member called Coralbandit. He raises them. You could always add 6 GBRs of whatever sex you decide and see what happens and remove any who are being bullied. Essentially, you may have to experiment with it.

As far as order I would add your peaceful schooling fish and bottom dwellers first. Then add the GBRs to establish territory. Then add your Angel and Gourami last. If your adding them as all juveniles...which I assume you will...and they grow up together I feel this lowers aggression amongst each other. Although, temperament can change into adulthood.

So we just planted some plants in our tank. I need several more to be more heavily planted and then will begin adding our list of fish after the cycle is done..starting with 6 corys. We looked at fish while we were out and I now need an alternative to a gourami in this tank. Any ideas?

My wife did not like it at all and the first one we saw had some sort of disease and was obviously dying. It scared one of my kids and he could not get over it the rest of the time. Every time we saw another one he talked about how scary it was and how he didn't want a fish that was going to catch a disease and die. Since this is a tank for the family I will have to add fish in that will not traumatize family members. Any ideas?

If you do GBR they should be last in your tank.
Not because they are tough but because they will not tolerate any bumps in cycling the tank.
They need an established tank.
You could do 6 in your 75 without problems IMO.
I would do 3 pairs .I don't like odd numbers and think same sex groups of GBR are usually either boring or brutal.. You can mix the GBR with Electric Blues also IME.
Don't get rams from LFS ..Most are very poor quality imported and suffering from all the travel ,not to mention methods and conditions in the Asian fish farms.
GBR and EBR need tank to be 80f as a minimum. If this is not in the plans then Bolivian rams are a lower heat type of dwarf cichlid.

Great. Thank you for the information on the rams. Are you saying I could do 2 pair of gbr and 1 pair of ebr or whatever mixture of those I want? Where would I buy these? You said to stay away from the fish stores, right?

Thanks for your help.

My wife did not like it at all and the first one we saw had some sort of disease and was obviously dying. It scared one of my kids and he could not get over it the rest of the time. Every time we saw another one he talked about how scary it was and how he didn't want a fish that was going to catch a disease and die. Since this is a tank for the family I will have to add fish in that will not traumatize family members. Any ideas?
LMAO. Sorry but that's hilarious.

Yes. Life can be comical sometimes. It is funny how things happen sometimes.

Great. Thank you for the information on the rams. Are you saying I could do 2 pair of gbr and 1 pair of ebr or whatever mixture of those I want? Where would I buy these? You said to stay away from the fish stores, right?

Thanks for your help.

IMO 3 pairs mixed however you want .
Aquabid is a site where breeders sell fish directly to customers with no fee.
Besides myself their are a couple good ram breeders on the 'Apisto' page.

Any ideas on a replacement for a gourami on the list by any chance?

Back
Top Bottom