Getting back into it - Advice Sought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwe_ch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I just introduced myself over in introductions so now I'm here for some advice!

I have a second-hand tank that I bought from someone who couldn't take care of it and its fish. I've figured out from the size of the tank (100x40x58cm) that it's about 60g/232l. When moving the tank, I managed to save half the water and the plants and all the fish so far and have gotten a new filter (old one still in there for cycling) and heater, and replaced some rocks with aquarium wood for more cover, but now it's time to make sure it's planted right and that the species work together so that ultimately the fish stay healthy.

As it's a second-hand tank, I didn't choose the fish that are in there now, so I know that I have a bunch of stuff to do to get the numbers and species to an ideal place. In fact, one of the fish (black ruby barb) seems a bit agressive to another (larger platy), which is odd as they've been aquarium-mates for awhile, so I want to make sure I do things right so I can reduce agression, not overcrowd and ensure the fish don't get sick as a result of stress.

Here's what I have (I think, the previous owner didn't know what was in the tank as it was her husband's and I think he passed on):

1 large pleco (not sure variety)
1 large platy (female)
1 average-sized swordtail (female, had to move her from my other small 40l tank as she was aggressive towards her pregnant female sword aquarium mate, the latter who has since gotten sick from the stress)
1 black ruby barb
4 neon tetras
1 ruby nose tetra
1 cardinal tetra
1 clown loach

:confused: Yes, 3 varieties of tetras and not enough for any to school -- an odd community tank, IMO. :confused:

So, my thoughts are that it'd be best to buy some more tetras (at least 5) so they can school and also perhaps a small loach and another black ruby barb, so they too can live more peacefully in the tank (perhaps this would stop the agression?), but I'm not sure this is the right way to go. Ideas? Really, I'm not sure if I can realistically add 7+ more fish to the tank, seeing as there are already 4 in there that are several cm/inches in length (not including the pleco that is a good 15-20cm long). I'm also planning to get some plants that will provide some top cover.

Thanks for advice.

Welcome!

First, I'd look at re-homing that pleco. Chances are it's a common pleco, which gets much to large for your tank and hogs a substantial chunk of your bioload capacity.

With proper filtration, I think you have a lot of room left for fish. The inch-per-gallon rule is a poor guideline at best. Cardinals and neons will generally school, so you could probably get a few more cardinals and have a decent group. I think I'd also pick up a few more barbs and a few more ruby-nose tetras. Add them one group at a time with a few days at least between groups.

I also think you can have more fish than listed.

A large group of cardinals look awesome with a large group of rummynose. They are a fav. combination of mine.

A school of skunk or panda cories would go great.

Maybe a pair of Dwarf South American Cichlids?

Welcome!

First, I'd look at re-homing that pleco. Chances are it's a common pleco, which gets much to large for your tank and hogs a substantial chunk of your bioload capacity.

Yeah, that's also something I should probably think about. But re-homing here in Switzerland is not that easy. Also, it's my son's favourite fish in the tank (he's almost three and calls it the big fish), so I think he'd be devastated. That said, I could put the pleco alone in the other 40l tank...

hmm...

Back
Top Bottom