Getting java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I'm going to Petco tomorrow to get more ghost shrimp and algae wafers I figure what the hell I might as well get those java ferns I was craving about

Ok so I brought these natural rocks in Japan, I rinsed them off in hot water already and everything. I THINK my mom packed them but I'm not sure. If I do have them, can I use them for my tank? If not, does petco sell natural rocks? More importantly, does petco sell java ferns?

Also how much lighting do java ferns need? I have a small filtered tank on my desk which I plan to raise my fern before it goes in the community tank. Do I need to keep the light on 24-7?

Never leave the light on 24/7. It will grow algae like crazy. Plus, the sun is never up 24/7, so the plantd don't need light 24/7. :)

Do you know what type of rocks? Some rocks are aquarium safe and some aren't; can you post a pic if you find them? Java ferns are low-light plants so they shouldn't need much light at all. You should be able to toss it into your main tank, no need to grow it out separately unless you want to. 8 hours a day of light should be enough for the ferns.

Bobjoefredsky said:
Ok so I'm going to Petco tomorrow to get more ghost shrimp and algae wafers I figure what the hell I might as well get those java ferns I was craving about

Ok so I brought these natural rocks in Japan, I rinsed them off in hot water already and everything. I THINK my mom packed them but I'm not sure. If I do have them, can I use them for my tank? If not, does petco sell natural rocks? More importantly, does petco sell java ferns?

Also how much lighting do java ferns need? I have a small filtered tank on my desk which I plan to raise my fern before it goes in the community tank. Do I need to keep the light on 24-7?

Yes petco does sell java fern, but they're sold in the plastic tubes. The common names of the plants aren't listed on the tube so you have to find the tube with the scientific name on it: microsorum pteropus. I got one from petco and it's doing great. It's already growing baby plants :) They don't need a lot of light, I only have .75 and it's working just fine.

Aces11 said:
Yes petco does sell java fern, but they're sold in the plastic tubes. The common names of the plants aren't listed on the tube so you have to find the tube with the scientific name on it: microsorum pteropus. I got one from petco and it's doing great. It's already growing baby plants :) They don't need a lot of light, I only have .75 and it's working just fine.

Yeah I've seen those tubes before. THANK YOU FOR THE SCIENTIFIC NAME !!!

Back
Top Bottom