getting ready to cycle, few ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwrmma

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, 90 gal tank 100 lbs reef sand, 70 lbs base rock, sg 1.0245, temp is 78 deg f., 2 ph's putting out 500 gpm, and a fluval 404 and an aquaclear 500 that i will be putting about 5 - 10 lbs lr rubble in tomorrow, and i have 45 lbs fiji lr also coming tomorrow from foster smith. what i want to know is if i should buy a skimmer for the die off, and how many raw (DEAD) shrimp should i buy for the fishless cycle? and once i finish my cycle, what % wc should i do? also, how long does it take for the base rock to start to become live? thanks in advance!!!!!

Turn the skimmer on.. it'll give it a chance to 'season' while the cycle is going on so that's it's in full operational mode when it is time to add livestock.
I'd figure your live rock would trigger a cycle, so I wouldn't add more then one or two shrimp if you want em to help it along..
(I just cycled using my live rock, no base rock, so it might be a little different?)
As for the spread of life to the rock.. I think it can take many months for coraline to propigate to the base rock, but the bacteria that makes live rock live will inhabit the rock within the cycle..

i also have a stocking question. i need some advice from the pro's on this one. here is the list of fish that i have an interest in, and i would like some input as to which ones are best housed together keeping in mind the 90 gal tank.
a pair of clowns (probably false), a yellow tang, naso tang, sailfin tang, powder blue tang, yellow watchman goby, niger trigger, humu picasso, copperband bfly, bicolor pseudo, and some type of angel (koran or imperator).
I KNOW these all wont fit in my tank since i'm looking at about 18 " of fish, but which ones would be a good group? thanks for any input.

You wont be able to keep all those tangs in there. Too many and not enough swim room. I guess this is only a FOWLR because some of those are coral destroyers. All those or most of them would be a pretty aggresive tank.

thats why i am asking for the advice of this forum to tell me which fish on that list will go with one another. i already stated that i know i cant put all of them in the tank. and yes it is a fowlr tank. please advise.
thanks in advance. any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

mwrmma said:
2 ph's putting out 500 gpm

I want that ph that's kicking out 30,000 gph :lol: ;)

As far as your fish list the yellow tang, yellow watchman goby, & bicolor pseudo along with a couple of Blue Green Chromis & maybe a smaller Wrasse would all be reef safe and fairly compatible with each other.

Personally I’d avoid any predator fishes like the trigger unless you want a predator only tank and no reef down the road. Also your tank is too small for a Koran Angelfish and especially too small for a Imperator Angelfish. These fish need a lot of swimming room and a 90 gal just isn’t enough for even one of these types of fish IMO.

Back
Top Bottom