Gf's 20 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does it matter how high the nitrites get? Because they were super high for a while and wasn't sure if it was like ammonia where if it gets too high the cycle stalls.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Does it matter how high the nitrites get? Because they were super high for a while and wasn't sure if it was like ammonia where if it gets too high the cycle stalls.

I've heard that very high nitrites can stall the cycle as well.

I'll stop replying for now since I am not really sure what's going on. I hope you can figure it out w the help of some knowledgable people :)

Good luck!! I'll keep reading :)

So what's the cut off for nitrites? If I keep feeding the ammonia the nitrites will get out of whack

So what's the cut off for nitrites? If I keep feeding the ammonia the nitrites will get out of whack

I've read that 5 ppm is the suggested max for both. I can't vouch for the scientific accuracy of that, but working within those guidelines worked for me.

You can continue to dose ammonia in small amounts. You'll want at least 0.2 ppm ammonia to keep the ammonia-oxidizing bacteria colony growing. If your nitrite spike is super-high, do water-changes to get it back to 5 ppm or lower.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the ammonia-oxidizing bacteria will begin to go dormant if they have no ammonia for a few days. You'll want to avoid that.

I'm not sure. Keeping the ammonia alive, gotta reduce the nitrites. It would all be easier if it was at my
House and not hers.

Alright it's been a while, but update.

Tank is believed to be up and running.

Had it running previously but the heater crapped out and ended up freezing her fish to death. Bought a new heater way more reliable and a new thermostat. After thinking the bacteria was somehow messed up.

Now it's levels read zero with some fish living in the tank currently.

She can't make up her mind on if she wants to have a shrimp tank with some community fish like guppies.

Or if she wants a crayfish. I explained that crayfish would be a gamble, they may eat the fish.

Any suggestions or experiences to be shared?

Perhaps I'll make a new thread.

Thanks everyone for your help! I appreciate all of this.

Back
Top Bottom