ghost shrimp question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greytgrey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last night I went to Walmart just shopping for clothes and I ended up taking home 4 ghost shrimp and a new platy. I put my new shrimp in with my guppy because they didn't like my platy! they attacked it!! I got the shrimp for 26 cents each.

How long do they live?
Do they need algea tablets?

Some live for quite some time, I had one that lived for about 6 months.
But it does seem like out of a bunch of them only one or two will out live the rest.
They will eat anything that falls to the bottom of the tank. They do love the algae tabs but if you don't have anything in there with them that needs it, I would not throw in a whole one. You can break of a teeny piece and throw it in, but really its not necessary.

like meredith said they will eat basically anything that hits the bottom, i have about 9 of them in my 10 gallon and they are great cleaners, i feed them some shrimp pellets and they will finish off anything that hits the bottom, i'm only two months into my first batch of ghost shrimp so i dont know how long they live quite yet

HTH

ghost shrimp

I have an african cichlid tank with a bala shark and blue lobster. however, cory cats do not fare well with the agressive fish and lobster. would ghost shrimp be a reasonable addition to a 20 gal. long tank or are there other options for "cleaner" fish or bottom feeders? thanks.

I bought 5 ghost shrimp today. My puffer really enjoyed most of them. Included in the feast was my beta and six tiger barbs. I think my puffer mistaked one of my small chinese algae eaters for a shirmp. MIA.

I honestly dont know how long they are supposed to live but most dont live more than a couple months. they usually end up dying or eaten, almost anything will eat one. Some people have tried breeding them but it never turns out for some reason. ive had mine get eggs but then die a couple days later.

I really only see them as fish food.

greytgrey said:
Last night I went to Walmart just shopping for clothes and I ended up taking home 4 ghost shrimp and a new platy. I put my new shrimp in with my guppy because they didn't like my platy! they attacked it!! I got the shrimp for 26 cents each.

How long do they live?
Do they need algea tablets?

How large were said shrimp and platy?

Re: ghost shrimp

themanofsilver said:
I have an african cichlid tank with a bala shark and blue lobster. however, cory cats do not fare well with the agressive fish and lobster. would ghost shrimp be a reasonable addition to a 20 gal. long tank or are there other options for "cleaner" fish or bottom feeders? thanks.

The Cichlids would probably attack the shrimp and the lobster will kill any ghost shrimp it happens to catch.

I still have a female ghost shrimp that has lived for 8 months so far.

One out of five ghost shrimps I added 6 months ago is alive and kicking. He/she eats, molts, grows, eats, molts... and so on. He's cool. 8)

All the little bros and sis disappeared in a mater of weeks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom