Gill flukes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm almost certain I have gill flukes in my tank. I've tried sterazin and parazin by water life but did not finish the dosing recommendations. I have also used api general cure 2 doses as recommended but the problem persists.

My LFS uses the water life products. Can anyone tell me which is best for this problem. There are so many. Parazin, sterazin, protozin and it's all very confusing. I have already lost a female ram, a gourami and a Cory to this parasite and I need to eradicate it once and for all as it's been going on way too long.

My male ram has been flashing and appears opaque. Seen stringy white poop and may have even prolapsed. He won't close his gills properly either and has been seen swimming erratically and spitting food out. Other fish in there are flashing also but do not appear to be any further down the road of no return.

Which product is recommended? If possible id like to remain with the water life brand as i can get hold of them easily.

Thanks

White stringy poop can indicate bacterial or paracitial infections and gill flukes wont cause white stringy poop. Bacterial or paracitical infections can cause the spitting out of food. Why didnt you finish the treatments with the first WL products you used? This isnt recommended as if its bacterial they can become rizziliant to the meds youre trying to treat with if you dont finish or follow the instructions by the manufacturer. From what i recall from memory sterazin from waterlife can help with flukes. There are quite afew treatments available and i would never rely on waterlife to solve your problems even though i speak highly of waterlife. I have good experiences with them even today as we speak myxazin is suspending columnaris where some highly recommended (and expensive!)US meds havent touched it. They do great products but need more specific solutions for dedicated problems.

My fish had white stringy poop but after 2 days of laced pellets with seachem metronidazole and 2 days of laced seachem kanaplex pellets its gone and theyre crapping normally. I Didnt need the focus binding agent either. These meds cant be sourced here and have to be imported. They arnt expensive in the US but after postage can be rather pricey to get here. They arnt legal here either.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware of the parasite life cycle so didn't think think it would take much. Thought it was a manufacturer con to get more money out of you. I still have sterazin left but not enough to finish the dosage.

Is it possible that stringy white poop is a secondary bacterial effect that has seen an opportune moment to strike as fishes defences are down due to flukes. My gourami had this before it died and was almost see through.

What else could it be? They are flashing so something is irritating them and the ram is breathing fast and his gills down close all the way. I just wish I knew what it was so I could treat it accordingly. I was told api general cure was great for flukes as it has prazi in it.

The sterazin specifically says for gill flukes and contains acriflavine and piperazine citrate as well as malachite green and formaldehyde as a stabiliser. Is formaldehyde the same as formalin?

I've read protozin tackles most things. Should I re-dose sterazin to the end of the dosage?

If you can attain more sterazin to finish a 5day course like is suggested yes if not then no.

I know exactly what you mean about diagnosing them properly as it can become expensive and stressful constantly pumping meds into the tank.

It could be a secondary infection yes but i cant be sure as diagnosing fish in my experiences is very hit and miss and has led to treaments that had no effect other than causing stress which would itself let illness grab a better hold on the fish.

Again unfortunatly bacterial infections can effect breathing and so can paracitical.

Last edited:
I would say with some certainty that it is either protozoan parasite, worms, or bad food you are giving the fish!

Back
Top Bottom