GLA 6g Rimless 36-L - My First Iwagumi Inspired Scape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's the best deal for these heat packs? I never bought them before nor have i ever shipped plants... Lol

The cheapest I have seen them is on aqua bid from the seller called MVP. I have also ordered them from Ken's Fish for pretty cheap.

Look what arrived today! Cal Aqua Fluxus 13mm Lily Pipes :)

j7f8hHiv8xbvU.jpg

jfCU0e3vKUWev.jpg

Now off to the hardware store for some 1/2 ID clear tubing... After install comes some serious manicuring of my scape... Let the labor of love begin!

I lagged it a bit and just got the Clear Vinyl tubing from Home Depot today. I'm going to be installing the lily pipes and doing a little maintenance. For now, since my tank is so shaded in the little cave under the Flame Moss, I decided to put a little Anubias sp. Petite on an extra Manzanita branch I had laying around. It's going to fill in that cave for now... Once I start clearing out some Flame Moss, I'll bring this tank back to it's earlier scape.

ibq3R7BqxwdO2V.jpg

And a little Red Rili that ventured out to say hi :)
iPGKelfde4dis.jpg

What plant is that cute little rilli standing on? The one coming off of the rocks. It's hard to tell the size of it. (I'm going to kick myself for asking this) >_<

maxwellag said:
That's dwarf baby tears (hemianthus callitrichoides).

I'm sitting right next to a tank that's half full of HC. *shame*

Man, you must have a killer lens on your camera. The perspective in the picture totally threw me off. Great shot.

Haha.. It's just the camera on my Samsung GS2 phone. I had the flash on for that one and cropped it to zoom in.

UPDATE (PICTURE HEAVY POST... you've been warned! LOL) -
CAL AQUA Fluxus Lily Pipes - 13mm / INSTALLED!

FINALLY.... I got my Lily Pipes and got them installed. :brows: Sorry in advance for the LOOOONG post. I feel that I reached a milestone in this build and it deserves a little extra of everything (words/pics)..

(Feel free to skip this section below about my rationale in equipment selection if you just want THE PICS)

Extra FLUFF starts here...
So after some searching around online, asking questions, I got the right clear tubing and the right lily pipes to fit the GLA 36-L with my Fluval 106. This was sort of a tough one so I hope that it will serve to help others who might follow the same path as I did.

What I found in my research prior to entering the rimless ADA-like arena of planted tanks, is that most hobbyist tend to go with the Eheim Classic Canister line as their main choice of filtration to follow the Mr. Takashi Amano tradition. Although Eheims are tried-and-true and work great (from the reviews I read), I wasn't too pleased with its, (IMO) to put it so lightly, antiquated design (hence the "classic" in classic canister)... First of all, there's no flow control and if you wanted to throttle the flow rate down, you had to put a spray bar or close up the quick-disconnects a bit - but the latter could harm the motor and shorten the lifespan. This could be problematic in a nano tank depending on what you're trying to house in there, like a Betta who wouldn't appreciate a strong current for instance. Further, there's no self-priming feature and all the media is stacked and not separated which can make it cumbersome to access. Yes I know, some can argue that it's a great feature because there would be little bypass of the media. But to me, the cons outweigh the pros and I was looking for more. Well, I get everything I wanted in my criteria and more from the Fluval 106 and I'm happy with my selection.

I've only had the Fluval 106 for about 5 1/2 months now, but I love it! The 106 is super quiet (even so it's in the open under my office desk), has flow control, has an modular design for easy access to media for customization, and a self priming handle... and to top it off, it comes competitively priced (lower than most Eheim models). So when I wanted to add the lily pipes, the problem is, since this isn't the most "popular" option for ADA-style tanks (partly because it's newer and the whole culture behind having to have "ADA this and Eheim that," there's little info floating around) it was hard to find the right sized Clear Vinyl Tubing to fit the Aqua-stops on the 106 and to fit the 13mm lily pipes. Well perhaps that trend will change (or not) but this is for those who are looking to implement the 106 with 13mm lily pipes as I did. :)

Extra FLUFF Ends here...

• I got 10' of Clear Vinyl Tubing (1/2" ID & 5/8" OD) at Home Depot for less than $5.
iBzqfntvQlzlo.jpg

Let me tell you, it was SUPER Tough to get it on the Aqua Stops of the Fluval 106. I had to run HOT water on them and really force them on there.. But sure enough, they fit and form a tight seal! I performed the same steps when attaching them to the lily pipes with little effort.
iQV7YDwZCDzgT.jpg

Now for the Picture Heavy part... :brows:

Note: First 4 pics are taken with my GS2 phone. With the exception of cropping/resize, there's very little if any post-photo alterations. The pictures below the first 4 are taken with a DSLR with a custom white-balance setting. Again, no post-photo alterations other than resize & cropping.

iR16pyEukXbrw.jpg

i91ptHHiz21wl.jpg

i4cvpMHJfPhTZ.jpg

ibeoZHgSPEUbl2.jpg

DSLR pics (experimenting since I'm new to photography)....

ibnf3ldAXzP2uE.jpg

ilDu43ty1Z1NO.jpg

ibmCmxgGhC5Xlj.jpg

Thanks for stopping by everyone!

Looks good but IMO will look better after the moss is trimmed so you can see the stem plants in the back. Congrats on your lily pipes!

WoW! I think I should get me some lily pipes for my 6g now! Dang that flame moss it HUGE! LMK when you start selling it! Your tank looks so huge like that and mine looks so small lol yet they are the same tanks.

Yeah i agree, the flame moss is in afro-rockstar mode right now and is in need of a haircut! LOL... Although i liked my tank better when more colors were in balance, i don't mind its current state for the meantime. I mean look how glorious and healthy that flame moss looks! Haha...

But yes, it will be trimmed and shipped off to those of you interested. I don't have heat packs but temps are warming up a bit soon.

Looks good. I agree it will look better when the moss gets its haircut. Keep the pics comin!

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

@Dan - Thanks! I wouldn't have even known about that POTM contest if it weren't for Fort commenting on my tank here (Thanks Fort!). I was happy to catch those guys schooling when I happened to have my camera out... and I'm glad I was able to share it.

Back
Top Bottom