Glo t8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welshy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I have the dual tubed Glo t8 ballast and I have been looking at some of the tubes available for this, none of which seem to be in the ideal 6500 range, intact most seem to be in the 18000k range but high peaks in blue red etc and say on the description good for plant growth. My question is are they infact good for plant growthor is it just corporate drivel trying to flog inadequate tubes for the job specified? Also if this is the case can you put another tube in the ballast e.g. Instead if using the 20w Glo tubes could I use another manufacturers tubes, shop lights etc or do they all have different fittings/ ballast starting needs (magnetic/electric) anyone have any input please? Sorry if this post is not in the right area

As far as im aware plants will grow with most lights some better than others as the light spectrum will be better for them have a look at Aqua-Glo , Arcadia freshwater T8 plus their ar others . Have a look at Seapets web site and yes as long as its a T8 it will fit light control unit

Plants only use light in the 6500k-10,000k range. That said, 18,000k might work, but they're only going to have a little light they can use. When I used T8 bulbs, I got them at walmart out of their household lighting department. I think they ran about $3 compared to the $20+ bulbs you find in fish stores. Look around, you'll find some in that range somewhere.

Cheers rookie I thought as much! Struggling to find any 20w t8s with a lower kelvin rating online at the minute! Might have to go down the shop light front!

Home Depot sells the Sylvania Grow Lux or daylight bulbs (alternative is Phillips daylight). Those are in the right spectrum and only cost $6 for a 48" bulb. They have been used for many a decade and are true to growing plants.

If you don't have a walmart in the UK then the general hardware store should carry these.

Back
Top Bottom