Gloves!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since my lovely clownfish started biting, I've decided to get some gloves for aquarium use :p I also figured it'd be better when I'm brushing against corals etc., in case I have any residues on my hands.

I was looking at these, but the guy selling them can't confirm if they're safe for a marine environment (the materials they're made out of, etc.) and won't leech anything into the water:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180187413550&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Does anyone have any advice?

I would think they would be fine but it will be hard to do anything with them. Too bulky in my opinion. I just use regular latex or vinyl gloves. They don't protect the arm but they do well. Wrap a rubber band around the wrist and you will keep the water out.

I've got the US version of those... think they're made by Coralife or Kent Marine, or someone like that. They're worthless in my opinion. As ellisz said they're too bulky and you have absolutely no sensitivity in your fingers. Might be good for moving rocks around, but that's about it.

I just use regular latex gloves. I've seen some elbow length, latex-type gloves (disposable) here...

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/reef_sleeves.htm

... but don't have any first hand experience with them. (No pun intended!)

I have them. They're not totally worthless. I also have a pair of yellow gloves used in kitchens that work well when I need to feel what I'm touching in the tank. But for moving rocks around and picking up non sesitive items the above gloves work well.

I agree that those gloves are too bulky. I use regular powder free latex gloves. If you want something longer look into veterinary supplies like this or closer to home like these (click on 'Clothing/Footwear' then select 'Gloves')

Thanks for the advice guys! Yeah, they do look kind of bulky, particularly for my nano which is tricky to get your hand to certain places WITHOUT gloves!

The main reason is to protect me from my clownfish's vicious bite, lol...I'm guessing normal latex gloves (elbow-length) will be thin so I'll still feel it? Yes, I know I'm soft, but you soon get tired of him drawing blood! :p

I couldn't confirm that these gloves wouldn't be chemically harmful, sorry - too new and I know how valuable fish can be. They are great gloves and ideal for working in the wet, but they are relatively cumbersome (compared to latex Vets) and I understand that might be a problem. They are very protective tho :)

I also use powder free disposable vinyl gloves. My clown fish is afraid of the vinyl but isn't afraid of my skin. It seems to be an effective deterrent. Now he sometimes still pecks at my hands with the vinyl gloves, but besides freaking me out, it doesn't hurt.

Yep it freaks me out too! As well as hurting :p

Are your vinyl gloves elbow length? If not, does he not pick at your arm?

Can you get powder-free ones from just normal stores?

Yeah mine are just the disposable kind you can get at any store. I got mine from walmart. Like 100 pack for $5. I like vinyl better than latex because the material feels a little thicker to me and vinyl doesn't fit so tight so I feel safer with the clownfish that way. They are both perfectly fine though, but only wrist length. The clown rarely bites at my arm, especially if I scare him away with my gloved hand first. hehe.

I just started a box of the vinyl after using the latex in the past. I like the vinyl a lot more. They are thicker and don't tear as easily. Not quite the same feel as you have with the latex but just as good for the work we are doing in the tank.

Cool, which of the 2 links above would you go for?

They both have the vinyl gloves. The first site is less money. If they are not exorbitant on the shipping charges go with that one.

I think the first site was less because the vinyl looked a lot thinner. I went with the thicker ones (£5 shipping though, bit annoying!!), so I hope they're ok!

Back
Top Bottom