Glowlight Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charls

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry if this is a silly question, but what is the difference between glowlight tetras and glowlight rasboras? What size tank would they need? Thank you for any help c:

It depends which glowlight rasboras you're talking about! There are two species commonly sold as glowlight rasboras; Trigonostigma hengeli (otherwise known as the lamb-chop rasbora or Hengel's rasbora) and Trigonopoma pauciperforatum . I'll assume you're talking about the latter, since they look the most similar to glowlight tetras, but please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

If it's physical differences you're wanting to know about, glowlight rasboras are rather elongate and tend to grow to about 5-6cm, compared to glowlight tetras which only grow to around 4cm but are much deeper bodied.

Glowlight tetras also tend to look a lot 'fatter' and will usually have a silvery sheen on their underbelly, which most glowlight rasboras lack.

They have a few differences in care-- notably the glowlight rasbora prefers cooler temperatures of 70-78F, whereas glowlight tetras prefer 75-82F. Both enjoy a pH below 7.

As for tank size, 15G for both species. You'd want a tank with a long footprint, as opposed to a tall one to give them plenty of room as both are active swimmers! :)

Thank you! A friend of a friend offered me a few glowlight rasboras so I'm going to see them on Saturday, but I haven't seen a picture of them yet so I'm not sure what type they are :/

Would they be alright with a male betta do you think? And how many would I need in my tank? My tank is large enough - 70L.

Both types of rasboras should be alright with a betta! They're usually fairly peaceful fish who keep themselves to themselves.

Since they're a shoaling species, it's probably best if you got a group of six at the very least. This'll make them less nervous, look a lot more impressive, and will act as a safeguard against nipping, too-- they're even less likely to pay much attention to your betta if they've got a shoal to interact with instead! :)

The only other thing I'd add is that they can be quite shy little fish, so ensuring they've got plenty of places to hide would probably be a good idea, especially whilst they're settling in!!

And you're welcome! Happy to help!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom