glutaraldehyde

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hashbaz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am curious about using glutaraldehyde in my tank. I know that some people (*cough*travis*cough*) use glutaraldehyde in their tanks.

For those who do not know: glutaraldehyde is the main ingredient in Excel - or very similar to the main ingredient or something like that. SeaChem is a little hush-hush about the subject.

Would someone who uses glutaraldehyde recommend it for others? I have done some research on the web and quickly learned that glutaraldehyde is not something that should be fooled around with. It is POTENT!

My basic questions are: What source is recommended for aquarium use, and what is the recommended dose?

On a side note, Excel is still only $40/year for a 75gallon. (Using full dosage and buying 4L at BigAlsonline.com). This may be a better method.

50% purity grade is what Travis uses, I've also seen it in 25% purity.

Travis doses 1mL in his tank every other day. 1mL! he said when he doses more than that, the water starts to cloud because its damaging the bio-filter.

because the 50% purity is considered hazardous material, its a pain to get shipped. The 25% doesn't require hazmat fees or cold shipping, so it's much easier to deal with.

Here's one place I found online that sells it to the general public
http://www.2spi.com/catalog/chem/chem2.shtml

You want the biological grade stuff, like
450 ml bottle 25%purity SPI # 02611-AB price $ 15.30

Its a lot cheaper to get a whole gallon, but you'll never use it all. Travis gets his from someone else when they divide up their bulk bottle purchase.

As I understand, it's intended use is as a cold sterilizer for doctor's tools. It's a strong protien cross-linker (read: can really mess up any living thing's day with a high enough concentraton).
Apparently plants can also use it as a carbon source. It should be safe to aquatic life in very low levels (like travis's 1mL dose for a 75G)

I know Travis doses about 3ml in his 125gal per week, 1ml at a time, every other day, with weekly 50% water changes.

However he did imply that he was at the edge...than any more Glute. and he'd start killing his bio-filter.

I'm actually amazed it doesn't cause gill damage after looking at the medical info on this stuff. I can see how it would be a decent carbon source, just amazed it doesn't cause more damage. Of course all the reference stuff says that it has a potent smell, so I'm guessing Excel is fairly low concentration.

Gonna have to recheck the warnings on the bottle when I get home, you'd think they would mention the signs of overdosing. I just don't remember seeing it.

Well, Excel is a modified gluteraldehyde molecule, but you can see the reference to the chemical in the ingredients list.

DO NOT SMELL gluteraldehyde. Travis did, adn it about knocked him unconscious. Some people are more sensitive adn will have allergic reactions, including hives.

Excel does have a warning about overdosing. Excel and gluteraldehyde will also damage anacharis and valisneria sp.

Back
Top Bottom