Going from fresh to brackish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scubasteve612

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I have a 55 gallon tanks and I just got 4 silver tipped sharks/columbian sharks and im looking to switch to brackish I just got a meter to test the salinity. I was just wondering what the salinity should be at and how often should I do the changes and what should the tank be at?

When I kept those as well as Violet Gobies I would fluctuate the salinity between .10 and .15 if I remember correctly. The Violet Gobies seemed to enjoy the fluctuation in the salinity.

You still do the water changes the same way and frequency.

Awesome now I usually change a 5 gallon jug once a week is that too much or not enough?

Scubasteve612 said:
Awesome now I usually change a 5 gallon jug once a week is that too much or not enough?

I think you should be doing more. I usually shoot for 50% but I think you should be doing 15 gallons at the least but that's just my opinion.

I usually do 50% water changes on my tanks. A lot of people do 20%. On a 55 I would do at least 2 jugs which would be a little shy of the 20%.

A bit off topic, but you are aware of how large they can grow correct? From my understanding they are very adaptable to salinity levels and can go from low 1.05 to nearly full marine as they age.

A bit off topic, but you are aware of how large they can grow correct? From my understanding they are very adaptable to salinity levels and can go from low 1.05 to nearly full marine as they age.

I was going to mention the full marine as adults but I wanted to assume he did his research since he was changing to brackish.

Yes have done reserch im planning on doing a 75 gallon marine tank next. Ive got the tank in the basement and ive been slowly buying the stuff I need. Also doing alot of research.for marine tanks because there is so much I need to learn. by the time thats up and running ill be looking.into how to.bring.the fish from.brackish to salt

Just keep in mind a 4 ft tank will not be large enough as they get to 12".. Honestly I think a 180 would be the minimum.

Sadly it's rare to find large columbians in the hobby.

Reactions: HN1
Yea the fish are cool and they wont be in the 55 for long ill see how big they get in the 75 and if that starts getting small ill go bigger. But thanks for the help you guys I appreciate it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom