Going from PPS pro to EI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper828

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys n gals. As the title states Im thinkin' of making a change from PPS pro to EI dosing. Has anybody else made this move? Could you tell any difference? My PPS is highly modified now. For my 75g high light ( I guess, 2 e-series) pressurized co2, in a 500ml bottle, 10ml daily,....k2s04-47g....kno3-0...kh2po4-25g...mgso4-20g...in separate bottle..500..10ml..csm+b-52g...iron chelate 10%-23g..
What ya'll think....

Are you doing this for the simplicity of a weekly rather than the day to day dosing?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Trying to fight of some gsa....I dont mind the daily..will probably do ei daily...

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just dose extra phosphate on the side, using up leftover seachem than I'll mix up batch with the gla dry. I'd tailor the whole micro bottle but I dose three tanks with varying degrees of lighting, stock and co2 levels..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I dose EI daily. I mix 3-4 months worth of ferts at a time in 2 18L bottles, and dosing pumps with timers do the job. Yeah I am lazy.

Well...I know That dosing EI is supposed to be over doin it and pps pro is at the maybe it will do it mark. I think I like the Idea of plenty rather than lacking...still up in the air about it,..I was really curious if anybody else had made the change or visa versa. I know I would run through the ferts a heck of a lot quicker. But you look online at some of these guys tanks that do EI,..like Tom Barr, and others and they don't have any algae at all....in theory,...or like Brookster said just add more phosphate till I see results...? But at the same time I don't dose any kno3 but my tank hovers at around 10ppm through the week, however there some other K and P in with the kno3 which when dosing EI method would add a bunch to what you already add with the k2so4 and khpo4........

What ya'll think...

If you're already doing the weekly 50-60% wc and have extra cash?? Go ei..

I don't think money is a consideration. Dry ferts are very inexpensive

I don't think money is a consideration. Dry ferts are very inexpensive

Not to mention the cost of a tech 75;) what was I thinking...

If you're already doing the weekly 50-60% wc and have extra cash?? Go ei..

Big plus 1 for me here. Sure dry ferts are inexpensive, but I'd rather not 1) do 50% PWC's "weekly" and 2) go through the hassle of ordering more ferts more often.

But yes, EI is a proven method. I'm sticking to PPS myself although I highly considered EI. GSA used to be an issue for my PPS regimen. I doubled my PO4 grams in the mixing bottle and I haven't seen GSA since.

As long as you keep your CO2 levels up, ferts consistent, and photoperiod limited, then you should be good with algae. Tom Barr also uses algae eaters and I know, although he'll advocate (rightfully so) to address root problems of algae, he's resorted to chemical warfare (a la algaefix) to rid some species of algae.

Last edited:
Big plus 1 for me here. Sure dry ferts are inexpensive, but I'd rather not 1) do 50% PWC's "weekly" and 2) go through the hassle of ordering more ferts more often.

But yes, EI is a proven method. I'm sticking to PPS myself although I highly considered EI. GSA used to be an issue for my PPS regimen. I doubled my PO4 grams in the mixing bottle and I haven't seen GSA since.

As long as you keep your CO2 levels up, ferts consistent, and photoperiod limited, then you should be good with algae. Tom Barr also uses algae eaters and I know, although he'll advocate (rightfully so) to address root problems of algae, he's resorted to chemical warfare (a la algaefix) to rid some species of algae.

Cool,..Thanks Brian,....what do yall think about the dosing mixture..maybe just increase the po4...? I can deal with the gsa as long as its on the glass..but I start seeing it on my plants,..I get a little .....ill...Thanks for the help guys!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...I know That dosing EI is supposed to be over doin it and pps pro is at the maybe it will do it mark. I think I like the Idea of plenty rather than lacking...still up in the air about it,..I was really curious if anybody else had made the change or visa versa. I know I would run through the ferts a heck of a lot quicker. But you look online at some of these guys tanks that do EI,..like Tom Barr, and others and they don't have any algae at all....in theory,...or like Brookster said just add more phosphate till I see results...? But at the same time I don't dose any kno3 but my tank hovers at around 10ppm through the week, however there some other K and P in with the kno3 which when dosing EI method would add a bunch to what you already add with the k2so4 and khpo4........

What ya'll think...

The reason a lot of pro aqua scapers have no algae is their incredibly efficient way in which they provide their tanks with co2. Flow and diffusion are key

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have pretty good flow with the eheim pro3 2075 and a sunsun 304b canister, plus a hydor koralia 425. Diffusing the co2 with a rex grigg style reactor. DC real yellow at the end of lighting period and lime green at lights on....kinda scratchin' my head.

Sk3lly theres a lot of talk recently about correct flow and CO2 diffusion can you point me to a good article discussing the topic, and what they mean by that?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have pretty good flow with the eheim pro3 2075 and a sunsun 304b canister, plus a hydor koralia 425. Diffusing the co2 with a rex grigg style reactor. DC real yellow at the end of lighting period and lime green at lights on....kinda scratchin' my head.

Just having a lot of hardware doesn't guarantee good flow. Try moving your drop checker to new locations around the tank to see your results. It's only registering yellow in the area it sits currently

Just having a lot of hardware doesn't guarantee good flow. Try moving your drop checker to new locations around the tank to see your results. It's only registering yellow in the area it sits currently

Good thought Bud,..I have two on opposite sides of the tank so I will move them around,..what do you think,...two days in new location to get a truer reading..??

Drop checkers will change pretty slow but yea 2 days sounds fair. It will help you understand what's going on in your tank more

I think I'll up my phosphate on my next mix. I'm thinking I need to shoot for 2-2.5ppm..? I think I am around 1.5 at the moment...

Back
Top Bottom