Going reef....additives and test kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am starting up a 30 gallon reef. I have a AP saltwater master test kit from my 10 gallon FOWLR which has tests for pH, NO3, NO2 and NH3. What other test kits should I have for a soft coral reef tank, and what brands of said tests do people recommend?

Also, I am using Reef crystals, and plan on doing ~20% water changes every week or two. Since I'm not planning at this time to have any hard corals, just mushrooms, zoos and some other soft corals, what, if any additives (ie iodine, calcium etc) should I (or should I not!) get? From what I've read here I think the water changes should be enough, but just wanted to check.

newfound77951 said:
From what I've read here I think the water changes should be enough, but just wanted to check.

PWC`s is all you need. Maybe after you get your corals going you`ll want to check your calcium to make sure it`s OK. I use oceanic and I dont dose for calcium but there are some that do. But test first to see if you need it.

I agree with Melosu. You might also want a PO4 kit. With PWC's and no corals consuming your Ca, you should be good to go, and no need for additives.

Sounds good....I might pick up a PO4 kit at some point but I can test my tank water at work for that if I need to....might make me more motivated to run the cranky nutrient analyzer!

Back
Top Bottom