Going saltwater for first time need help/build thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Christmas came early this year!20170912_135423.jpgpending my ro/di system showing up this week I hope to have it setup and cycling by this weekend.

Hi there and welcome to the salty side. Everything is looking great. I love the stand. It looks really nice and I like the white color. I would do a little more research on the salt. When I started up my tank I started with the coral pro salt and ended up switching to instant ocean. The coral pro has high alkalinity, calcium and magnesium elements and is more for a tank that is already established with corals that will use up those elements like hard stoney corals and SPS corals.
I would start with instant ocean reef crystals and save the coral pro for later when you have a fully stocked tank.

Thanks for the welcome Bdonaldson. Did the coral pro salt cause any problems in your tank? I purchased it just for the reasons you stated because I would like to stay away from dosing for as long as possible. I also read from multiple sites to pick a salt and stay with it because switching could cause problems. If it is going to cause problems I will gladly switch but if it just saves a few bucks I will just keep it.

Ok I will stick with the coral pro since I have already have it. It's looking like Monday now before I can start, marine depot drug their feet shipping my ro/di system. I went with a spectrapure maxcap 90gpd unit.

Thanks for the welcome Bdonaldson. Did the coral pro salt cause any problems in your tank? I purchased it just for the reasons you stated because I would like to stay away from dosing for as long as possible. I also read from multiple sites to pick a salt and stay with it because switching could cause problems. If it is going to cause problems I will gladly switch but if it just saves a few bucks I will just keep it.

When I cycled my tank and even after it was cycled i only had fish in there for a few months until the tank was ready for corals. Over time the elements were rising while I was waiting for the tank to age. There were no corals to use up the elements. Thats why I switched back to instant ocean until I put my corals in there.

Thanks arnoldndana it's a work in progress. Here an update20170914_132509.jpg hydra is mounted and final leak test.

New update.
20170919_105728.jpg
Rocks, background, and equipment are in.
20170919_105308.jpg another view of the rocks. I would have already had water in but my rodi system came in missing the ro membrane! So after a long conversation with marinedepot they sent me one free of charge. More to come!

Making saltwater! Should have it full by tomorrow, fingers crossed for no surprise leaks.

Thanks! It was the second stand I have built and I borrowed a finishing nailer which helped a ton.

Tank is filled!20170922_153141.jpg It's a bit cloudy but I have both wavemakers going so hopefully it will settle. Salinity is 1.025sg and I'm waiting for ph and temp to stabilize. So the guides I have read and your suggestions say to cycle with a raw shrimp, what size type do I get? Should I add some fish food for any other trace elements needed? Thanks in advance for your help, more to come!

Done and done, hopefully the cycle will get going pretty quick with the live sand and life rock that is supposedly spored with bacteria and I had a little stability left from another tank.

Back
Top Bottom