Going shopping, what do I need to upkeep 2 goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anakalia777

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have very little knowledge on what to buy when it comes to caring for 2 goldfish. Also, I'm on an extremely tight budget right now, so I'm looking for the minimum amount of items needed to keep the goldfish alive. Hate to sound cheap but, I must for now.

With 2 GF in a 1.5-2 gal tank you really need to start doing partial water changes, not all of it say about 30-40% every day or so. Does it have a filter?? or are they in a bowl?? Read up on how to cycle your tank and what it means to your fish. You need a PH test kit, ammonia test kit, nitrite and nitrate test kits. However to keep them alive small and frequent water changes are your fishes best friend. If you don't, well the short answer is they will probably not last long. Oh and don't over feed, 30 second rule, only what they can eat in 30 seconds once a day, scoop out remaining food. Overfeeding will turn your water to ammonia and kill your fish.

Nitrogen Cycle and the Aquarium - Algone.com

Goodluck :)

Oh ok...I was changing the whole tank and moving the fish to a smaller container, they didn't like it neither did I. Partial water changes are way easier. Will also get the other items you mentioned.

You really might want to consider just finding the goldfish a new home and getting your son something suitable for the tank you currently have. I can only assume it's a common goldfish, since it came from the carnival, and they grow up to about a foot long usually, sometimes two feet. You will need a huge tank, or really a pond to properly care for them.
I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but I can't in good conscience tell you any supplies at the store will help care for your goldfish.
Please consider finding the fish a new home instead.

Jenatron couldn't be more right. Goldfish are actually giants that can be hard to care for. Hence their high death rate.

To keep it simple, this is what I'd get. API master kit, 20 gallon tank, substrate, prime, and 40 gallon filter. Not all at once depending on budget. Get the tank at walmart... 20 bucks!

Craig's List, Craig's List! Have cash ready, be prepared to do some cleaning when you get it home, check every day...you will be amazed at what comes up, cheap! Including stand, filter, lights, etc....

Like I said, did the same thing as you :p what I did was got a 20 gallon tank with double the filtration. While they were in there I was saving money to go up to a 50 gal tank which I now just bought, and double the filtration... While I wait for them to start growing i'm saving for either an even bigger one, or I'm going to return them and just keep my 2 fancies :( which I really don't want to do cuz I love my Bobbert and Matilda...
anyways as glassbird said, craigslist :D

Back
Top Bottom