Gold Ram Wigglers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They should be swimming or at least moving in their own. Do they at least dart from one spit to the other?

They were all swimming together for 3 days in a little school like 100+ of them. Now like 10 are still swimming around & the rest scoot around on the bottom of the tank. They do dart around from time to time but the swimming is sporadic, I saw some even swimming in circles. I'm thinking swim bladder problems, but I couldn't imagine doing anything differently! I didn't do anything wrong idk why this happened!

Hmm that's odd. My apistogramma cacatuoides fry will lay on the bottom and dart around, but if they were swimming and now are not something went wrong.

the only thing I can think is that they are the fry of petco rams. next time I attempt to breed rams I'm gonna make sure they're good quality.

It took me months to get a pair to live from petco, I swear I had been through about 20+ rams all dying within a 2-3 days of me having them. I kept returning them and getting more. I knew my water was perfect & the fish just sucked ! none of the lfs by me were getting rams at the time. So I finally ended up with a pair of gold rams that lived a whole week. The female started flashing on everything in the tank she was literally bouncing all over the place.

then finally I got a bottle of quick cure, and a bottle of vitachem and treated the tank non stop. I dosed all their food with vitachem.

Now, I haven't used quick cure in a month or 2, but I still drop the vitachem in the tank & the rams are doing amazingly. I call them gold rams on roids lol, they literally eat their food every day like savages who never saw food before.

I thought they'd be sterile considering where they came from, but to my surprise I've hatched 2 batches of eggs from them. This second hatch much better than the first... until this new problem of them all developing swim bladder issues.

I changed like 1/2 an inch of water out of their 2.5 gallon ! I changed it with water from my 29 gallon with the exact same parameters & a splash of prime just to be safe.

I'm surprised you even found gold rams there. Petco doesn't even keep blue rams by me. Doesn't surprise me that they are good breeders though.

Yea they get em at 2 of the petcos by me. 6.49 each. Also, most of the ones on the bottom of the tank have passed away... BUT I did notice something really odd with one of the ones on the bottom that is still alive. THE STOMACH IS 100% ON THE TOP OF ITS BODY!!!

I fed baby brine today and all the survivors stomachs are orange so it's very easy to see that this ones stomach is where it's back should be.

TCC, I've got 6 or 7 left, they're doing well, really full bellies, all eating bbs.

How long do I feed bbs? And then what do u recommend feeding them after bbs?

Just thought I'd update everyone, I've got 6 fry still living. The other 140+ all developed swim bladder issues and died after being shocked by my 2 yr old niece and nephew slapping the tank :-(

The 6 remaining fry are doing great! They're 3 weeks old today & about tripled in size since being born.

Something really exciting just happened and I thought I'd update the post.

So out of the 6 remaining, only 2 made it to adulthood. They are 5.5 months old now and almost have their full adult coloration.

I just walked in my room to go to bed. Went to feed em a little flake when I looked closely and saw eggs.

Upon closer observation I've got a male and a female.

they are both fanning and defending the eggs together. So I'm assuming they've paired up. We'll see if the eggs are fertile in the morning.

I didn't plan on the only 2 surviving fry to be a male female pair. I planned on crossing 1 with an electric blue and the other with a german.

But this is totally awesome!

I bred their parents to get them and now they're breeding !

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398917245.178018.jpg

Back
Top Bottom