Gold severum question !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dude1982

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anybody please tell me the sexes of both my gold severums. I've read a few bits about sexing them but I'm still finding it hard to tell !

Attachments

• image-153402097.jpg
    image-153402097.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 121
  • image-2524851773.jpg
    image-2524851773.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 121
How large are the fish? What I am about to tell you is not always 100% the case, so don't hold it against me if they are not what you thought they were. Males in cichlids tend to be a little bigger, although in the tropical fish trade, many fishes genes have been altered a little through selective breeding whether intentionally or not. What I'm saying is that females and males may be closer to the same size. Good feeding and raising also can lead to females being the same size. Males also can have longer points at the ends of their fins while females have shorter fins. Not much shorter, but enough to tell if you look. Really, though, the best way to tell is when they spawn. If they are juvenile fishes you might as well wait because you just wont be able to tell until they get older.

There are a lot of ways to guess at the sex of a fish but, the only 100% foolproof way is to vent them. Which involves holding them upside down and checking their girl or boy parts. I've seen it done and you can get photos and directions online for venting your fish.
The closer to being an adult the easier it will be.
Good luck with this one

Back
Top Bottom