Golden algae eater nipping at my goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T Money

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 6 goldfish and a juvenile golden algae eater. I've recently caught him nipping at my goldfish. Is this normal behavior for these 2?received_377109089807038.jpeg

I can't be 100% seeing the pic, but this sounds like this is a Chinese Algae Eater.

Absolutely a worst fish for the aquarium - and an evil nemesis of the Goldy. They love the slimecoat of the GF. Will injure and can cause the death of the GF. Aggressive fish.

I can't be 100% seeing the pic, but this sounds like this is a Chinese Algae Eater.

Absolutely a worst fish for the aquarium - and an evil nemesis of the Goldy. They love the slimecoat of the GF. Will injure and can cause the death of the GF. Aggressive fish.
Wow I had no idea. I was doing a friend a favor by taking his fish for him. I had no idea. Thank you!

Maybe wouldn't be bad for a more aggressive tank, I really couldn't say I don't have experience with aggressive types.

Weather Loach / Misgurnus anguillicaudatus is a good tank partner for GF. Looks similar but not close to same behavior.

Your Fish

I have 6 goldfish and a juvenile golden algae eater. I've recently caught him nipping at my goldfish. Is this normal behavior for these 2?View attachment 312596

Hello T...

These two species aren't compatible. They have different water temperature requirements. Also, adult Indian Algae Eaters have a diet that includes feeding off the slime coat of other fish. The slime coat on the Goldfish protects them from infection, so having the two fish in the same tank isn't very good. Did you do your research on these two, or did you believe what someone told you?

B

Back
Top Bottom