Goldfish Aren’t Looking to Good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LittleGoldfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have had two Goldfish in my tank for months and so I decided to get a couple more. A few weeks later I go down to check on them and I notice one of my Goldfish has no fin and so I thought maybe my water was bad and by the way I just cleaned it last week, I checked it and it was perfect. So I didn’t understand. Now I go down and one is missing a scale and bleeding. I’m so confused and need some help. Everything is going down hill when I thought it was perfect. I’m so stressed and worried for my fishy friends. I don’t know what’s going on. Why is this happening when the water is fine and the two goldfish I’ve had for almost a year are fine but the new ones are hurt? They still are swimming around and eating but they are hurt and I don’t know how to help them. Please someone help me! I’m desperate for answers.

Sounds like they are fighting. What size is your tank and what type of goldfish do you have? What does your water test out at exactly?....... ammonia, nitrites, nitrates?

100 gallon with a bubble eye, two calico Orandas, and a black moor. I only tested obvious things maybe causing it so I’ll list everything tomorrow.

Yes. But I keep them for a couple months and wash them out then get rid of them

Hello Little...

I've kept Goldfish for some time and never have I noticed them to be anything but peaceful. If you're removing and replacing most of the water every week or so, then add a bit of standard aquarium salt to the new, treated tap water. I use a teaspoon in every 5 gallons. Salt is the best thing you can do for your fish, especially those with scales. It has a calming affect and heals injuries quickly. I have Anacharis, Anubias and Hornwort in all my tanks. Plants help fish feel comfortable in the tank.

B

When you throw out the filter pads, you throw away the beneficial bacteria aka BB.

Then you have more fish and no clean up bacteria to help get through the ammonia, and nitrification cycle. So you get illness started with the ammonia, then the NitrIte and then a bit of stress topped in it with the higher nitrAtes.

When you do the water change your water looks good. Consider possibly using other media to help maintain a constant colony of BB.

Some options are Matrix media, ceramic pellets or rings or Marine pure blocks or similar like Brightwell Aquatics Xport BIO - Dimpled Brick, or Maxspect Nano Tech Bio Media

These types of products allow a huge colony to build up and I feel like would be the best option, for GF tanks, and then you can throw out filter pads without guilt or mini cycles.

Fish will act agitated and more aggressive when there is a spike bad parameters. It is possible that happened.

If you have Prime water conditioner, you can use that to aid in getting through a mini cycle.

If you find that the water parameters stay stable and there is still an issue...
Sometimes there could be one fish which is more aggressive. If you identify the bully, you can use a big Koi net and put him in time out in the net in the corner. And continue the training that bad behavior gets the time out net and he might shape up. A training technique shared by a fancy GF breeder here a few years back.

Now they have red streaks through their tails! I know what that means but I cleaned the tank less than a week ago and I checked ammonia and it’s 0 checked nitrates and that’s at 0.
Chlorine is 0
Alkaline is 180-240
PH is 8.2-8.4
Please help!

Here’s some pictures....

Attachments

• 09B61C9B-6593-4EFE-BEE3-0BFF0D3AB8EF.jpg
    09B61C9B-6593-4EFE-BEE3-0BFF0D3AB8EF.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 4D6EDEC2-A998-4215-BDD5-8578CBC47787.jpg
    4D6EDEC2-A998-4215-BDD5-8578CBC47787.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 34