Goldfish black patches sitting at bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tlozzerz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, Thank god I've found u :D

I rescued a fairground goldfish left swinging in his sandwich bag on a fence and am now I month further, 2 replacement goldfish (don't tell my son) and a baby butterfly loach in a 70l tank!!

I need help as my little goldfish is sitting on the bottom with black/dark patches on his tummy, will move about very occasionally. I am positive it is water quality as went on holiday for a week and carer totally overfed:facepalm: Second goldfish and loach seem fine at the mo.

I've moved them all into a smaller tank to try and save them assuming water is toxic, and need to do fish in cycle I think after much reading. Currently the big tank still has the old water, gravel and filter in but where do I go from here??

I have ordered a testing kit but don't have it yet, any day now. I've bought new gravel, filter pads etc but then thought that might remove all the good bacteria, it's so confusing and I've spent 2 days since back from hols doing nothing but faffing about with goldfish!!

I have TapSafe water conditioner and new plants.
Thank you xx:flowers:

Welcome to AA!!!

Ok, lets start with basics. Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? What size tank are these guys in right now? Are you familiar with hillstream loaches and their care? How many goldfish are there/do you know what type? If you are unsure, pics will help!

Please read the article below as well and ask any questions!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Hello and welcome!

What type of goldfish are they? If they are single tail species, I'm afraid they need huge tanks- ponds preferably.

If fancy goldfish you can get away with having the two of them in a 125 litre tank.

Definitely don't change your filter media, but I would change 50% of the water twice a day until your test kit arrives. Make sure you thoroughly gravel vac the substrate in the process.

Try feeding some thawed frozen peas squeezed out of their shells. If they are too big for your fish to eat easily, you can crush them first.

Can you post pictures so we can see what type of loach you have?

Thank you for replies. Details are:

1 x goldfish (simple orange fish, single tail, 1 inch)
1 x fancy? Goldfish (orange & silver, larger tail, 1.5inch)
1x butterfly loach (0.5 inch) black with white spots

Tank is 70L with air stone, filter and heater at 22 degrees. Real plants x 4.

I, as many, were badly misinformed by chain pet shop who sold me a 24l tank and told me big enough for 3 goldfish, fill it up, put some tap safe in and fish can go in. Within 2 weeks and much reading I got the bigger tank from a friend who set it up for me but didn't mention cycle. Once fish are too big husband has a lovely pond at work :)

Yday I moved all 3 into the 24l tank and am doing daily water changes and not feeding at all for 3 days except peas, happy to see little fish making more attempts at swimming today.

I emptied Big tank yday, washed out all the gravel (sooo much dirt in it once I stirred it up) didn't wash filters etc, put fresh plants in, refilled and added a decent water conditioner from proper aquatic petshop and today it's looking clear. No-one moves in until I water test though!! Waiting for kit in post.

Update:

After doing research - little fish is a common and other is a comet.

Thank you for replies. Details are:

1 x goldfish (simple orange fish, single tail, 1 inch)
1 x fancy? Goldfish (orange & silver, larger tail, 1.5inch)
1x butterfly loach (0.5 inch) black with white spots

Tank is 70L with air stone, filter and heater at 22 degrees. Real plants x 4.

I, as many, were badly misinformed by chain pet shop who sold me a 24l tank and told me big enough for 3 goldfish, fill it up, put some tap safe in and fish can go in. Within 2 weeks and much reading I got the bigger tank from a friend who set it up for me but didn't mention cycle. Once fish are too big husband has a lovely pond at work :)

Yday I moved all 3 into the 24l tank and am doing daily water changes and not feeding at all for 3 days except peas, happy to see little fish making more attempts at swimming today.

I emptied Big tank yday, washed out all the gravel (sooo much dirt in it once I stirred it up) didn't wash filters etc, put fresh plants in, refilled and added a decent water conditioner from proper aquatic petshop and today it's looking clear. No-one moves in until I water test though!! Waiting for kit in post.

Its great that your husband has a pond at work for them to go into!
Since neither the 24l or 70l is cycled, you'd be best to return them to the larger tank minus the gravel.
I had a comet in a tank for a while and found it far easier to keep on top of the water quality by having a bare bottom.
Continue doing daily water changes until you are able to test your water, but avoid cleaning the filter for a couple of weeks. With a bare bottom, its a breeze to siphon out any mess.
I would keep the 24l running though, because you'll need a quarantine tank when you come to replacing your goldfish. What sort of tank mates will you choose for your hill stream loach? Decisions decisions.. lol.
When searching, look for fish suited to an 18.5 gallon tank (70l) and with similar requirements to your loach. Good luck (y)

I agree to move everyone into the 70l and do daily big water changes. Honestly though, you should give strong consideration to moving the goldfish to pond sooner rather than later. 18g is honestly too small for these guys as they grow very quickly and grow very large. They are better suited to pond environment with ample water. Please ask any questions!

Thanks everyone. Sadly sick goldfish didn't make it :(

I am super grateful for the no gravel tip, cleared that yday and got my water testing kit API master set. All readings good except ammonia still too high 0.25, been treating with ammonia neutraliser and will read again this morning, hopefully the comet and the butterfly loach can move back in today.

2 mini snails turned up in there, from a new plant I think, will let them stay for now, see how they multiply.

Will comet be happy as only goldfish? I'm hoping to just get him to a size and put him in the pond and start again with suitable fish.

I have learnt from all this and am amazed at the misinformation around goldfish, why on earth are they the no1 kids pet??? Poor things :(

Thanks everyone x

Thanks everyone. Sadly sick goldfish didn't make it :(

I am super grateful for the no gravel tip, cleared that yday and got my water testing kit API master set. All readings good except ammonia still too high 0.25, been treating with ammonia neutraliser and will read again this morning, hopefully the comet and the butterfly loach can move back in today.

2 mini snails turned up in there, from a new plant I think, will let them stay for now, see how they multiply.

Will comet be happy as only goldfish? I'm hoping to just get him to a size and put him in the pond and start again with suitable fish.

I have learnt from all this and am amazed at the misinformation around goldfish, why on earth are they the no1 kids pet??? Poor things :(

Thanks everyone x

Sorry about your Goldie :(
Your comet will be fine on his own. I thought mine needed company but after a few months he started really bullying the new one. That was around the time I found AA and got a Goldie education.
I found someone with a pond who was happy to take the pretty new comet, but my original comet had ugly tumors and ammonia burns from when he was kept in a 2' tank for 2 years by his previous owner. No one would have taken him in, so I continued with 50% pwc every 2 days to keep his water clean, and actually had 5 filters running on that tank!!
Only a few months later I had to euthanize him when his tumors changed- they became very large and fleshy and overnight he was tearing them up to a bloody mess. It was a horrific sight :cry:
Comets, commons and shubunkins should all be clearly labeled as pond fish IMO. I get so angry when pet shops have a sale on comets- 5 for $8.
Seriously! How many people would have the setup that 5 comets require???
I tried to politely warn a lady who was buying 5 for her daughter's new and uncycled start up tank, that they will grow to over a foot. She looked at me like I was a poor ignorant fool and assured me that fish only grow to the size of the tank. The shop assistant confirmed this assertion, and bagged up her 5 fish all in one small bag. I don't think they would have suffered long in that tank. At least I hope their deaths were quick :(

My 2yr old and I have taken our remaining comet fish to a beautiful large pond with waterfalls and lily pads in the gardens at a hospice where my husband works. We are feeling v good about this

Went to our real aquarium shop who are great, have advised us to go tropical in a week or so and to slowly ease up the temp for Barry the remaining loach to adjust, got him some nice big wood and good food and can now look forward to choosing some beautiful tropicals with sensible advice

My 2yr old and I have taken our remaining comet fish to a beautiful large pond with waterfalls and lily pads in the gardens at a hospice where my husband works. We are feeling v good about this

Went to our real aquarium shop who are great, have advised us to go tropical in a week or so and to slowly ease up the temp for Barry the remaining loach to adjust, got him some nice big wood and good food and can now look forward to choosing some beautiful tropicals with sensible advice

(y)
Take your time- the planning, research and anticipation is *almost* the best part of fish keeping :lol:
Glad your comet is in a lovely place where you can visit him :D

Back
Top Bottom