Goldfish doesn't look too good.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trioracles

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my calico looks really unwell while all my other goldies r active and happy. I've noticed this starting about a month ago. My water conditions r fine, no ammonia, 7.0+ ph, all etc.

The calico always seems to float on the top. I think it might have swim bladder. I always feed peas every Friday, so I really don't know what's wrong. It usually just floats on the corner surface. Again, the water conditions r fine, as in 0 of everything and 7.6 ph. It still eats when it's feeding time tho. What should I do?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

When you say everything is zero that indicates that you are not cycled, or you don't have a test kit and just said zero thinking those were good numbers. I would guess you have only had your fish for three weeks or so. I'm not trying to be mean or anything I just know what it's like to be a newbie. It sucks!

I would suggest you do a large water change, and another one tomorrow. If you do not have a test kit just keep doing large water changes for a month or two. Your cycle will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had this tank for 2 yrs and my calico a little more than 1 year... Lol. My tank is planted and equipped with two Aqua clear 60s and a penn plax 1200 canister , so with all those, my tests end up 0. With a basket filled with crushed coral, my water is at 7.6, just how gold fishes like it. So yeah... I'm SURE it's not my water condition. Anyone else can help?

You say floating near the top, are they on there side? or upright and sucking up air? any more imfor? Its a good sign the fish is eating. Does he have any visible injuries ie check pectoral fins any damage there?

Well, it's pretty random. I see it sometimes tail up, belly up, belly down normal position, and sometimes flat on its side. Sometimes it's so active and swims with the other fish, but sometimes it just floats to the top.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414136547.858751.jpg so this is him/her? When s/he is active. Doesn't seem like calico has any physical abnormalities =\

Tri - I share in your concerns over a sick fish; I know what you're experiencing. I lost a beautiful fancy tail to a LONG, protracted battle with SBD (see thread below for all the story). Tried every remedy, medication, and dietary tweak. She remained surface-bound for weeks on end.

After trying one specific medication, she had about two days of "normal" swimming, then she was bottom-bound. The tank's gravel was beating her pretty badly, so I moved her to a rehab tank — glass only, and one air stone; shallow water to relieve pressure on her swim bladder. A slight saline content to assist her recovery, etc.

It must have been permanent structural damage. After months in the rehab environment, she never gained buoyancy. (It could have been neurological for all I know.)

You might consider placing this fish into a shallow rehab tank: special diets, meds which won't effect the other healthy fish, etc. You must daily monitor that water, and be exacting in your care (diet, meds, water, etc). If, after such care for several weeks, s/he shows no signs of improvement, you've got a permanently-disabled fish, at which time you must make a decision: accept the fish as it is, or euthanize the fish. As difficult as euthanizing your pet seems, it may be the best path forward.

Please, keep us updated; I sincerely wish the best for you and your fish!

Thread found here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/critical-need-inverted-4-fancy-goldfish-299307.html#post2846449

When you say everything is zero that indicates that you are not cycled, or you don't have a test kit and just said zero thinking those were good numbers. I would guess you have only had your fish for three weeks or so. I'm not trying to be mean or anything I just know what it's like to be a newbie. It sucks!

I would suggest you do a large water change, and another one tomorrow. If you do not have a test kit just keep doing large water changes for a month or two. Your cycle will happen.

Very false, considering we didnt have any info on base tap water and or plants, this statement was unfounded.

My apologies, but if everything reads zero then that is an indication that the tank is not cycled. The OP said all readings were zero....

The reason I suggested water changes is bc most often (not always) it will help the situation.

My apologies, but if everything reads zero then that is an indication that the tank is not cycled. The OP said all readings were zero....

The reason I suggested water changes is bc most often (not always) it will help the situation.

No need to apoligize :) Plants will feed off nitrate and the bb will clean up the ammonia and nitrite ^-^

Niki86 —

Are you suggesting that a well-cycled tank should have some readings? I'm not questioning you or challenging you BTW, I'm merely trying to learn.

As I understand it, a healthy balanced Ammo cycle will yield some low Nitrate numbers. Nitrites should ALWAYS be zero, and of course it's preferred that Ammonia be at zero.

Is this what you'd expect to find in a well-balanced, well-cycled aquarium?

Niki86 —

Are you suggesting that a well-cycled tank should have some readings? I'm not questioning you or challenging you BTW, I'm merely trying to learn.

As I understand it, a healthy balanced Ammo cycle will yield some low Nitrate numbers. Nitrites should ALWAYS be zero, and of course it's preferred that Ammonia be at zero.

Is this what you'd expect to find in a well-balanced, well-cycled aquarium?

I would say a cycled tank should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and some nitrates below 20. So in turn you are correct.

No need to apoligize :) Plants will feed off nitrate and the bb will clean up the ammonia and nitrite ^-^

I don't want to go around giving bad advise. I didn't actually know that if you had enough plants that you could have all readings at 0.

I don't want to go around giving bad advise. I didn't actually know that if you had enough plants that you could have all readings at 0.

No worries tap water also influences :) Good luck to OP.

A properly fed and normally stocked tank of goldfish will not have zero nitrates from plants and a bio filter alone.

suggested numbers perhaps?

A properly fed and normally stocked tank of goldfish will not have zero nitrates from plants and a bio filter alone.

Awhutter,
Could you please add some more info., perhaps suggesting what types of numbers you'd prefer to see in a healthy goldfish aquarium? I'm aware total volume of water and size/quantity of fish are of course HUGE factors, but are there some general numbers you might suggest?

I've been going with zero ammo, zero RItes, and RAtes of perhaps 10-20ppm range as ideal chems.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom