Goldfish has a black tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aliology

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, can anyone please help. My goldfish jumped out of her tank 7 days ago. She had been on the floor for a few hours but has amazingly survied! Her tail looked discoloured and had some damage to it, her body was quite grey.

The next day I bought some melafix and added it to the tank, within hours her tail and body returned to normal colour and she was much more her usual self. I continued to use melafix for 3 days with daily part water changes to keep the water clean for her.

The only problem is that her tail was discoloured again this morning, I added melafix to the water and once again within an hour her tail returned to its normal colour. (There is still damage to her tail as she had lost a little chunk when she jumped out of the tank.)

Can anyone please help me and shed some light on why this is happening to her tail? She's a lovely little fish and seems her normal self and is eating her food, its just the tail that seems to be the problem. Also I have another healthy goldfish in the tank, is it ok to use melafix on him?

Many thanks.

Hi! Welcome to AA!!! Can you provide some more info? What size is the tank/filtration? What are your exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph? What is your normal water change schedule? Its a bit unusual for a goldie to jump out of a tank unless theres a water quality issue that he is trying to escape. Some more info will help! :)

Hi, thank you for your reply. :)

Both goldfish are still quite small and I'm ashamed to say they're in a Fluval Chi 25 litre aquarium, which I know is much to small. When my fish jumped out of the tank I started reading this site and very quickly found out the tank was much too small! :oops:

I've now bought a Fluval Edge 46 litre and I'm waiting for it to cycle. (I realise in a years time I'll need to look at larger accommodation for them and have a feeling I'm going to end up with a pond in my garden! ;-) )

Again after reading this site I'm also ashamed to say that I dont use a testing kit to test the water. I've always just changed 50% of the tank water once a week. I also add half a teaspoon of aquarium salt to the water.

I thought my fish had jumped out of the tank due to the water getting too warm, as it was a very hot day. Her tail was perfectly fine until she jumped out of the water and when I put her back in the tank it looked a bit bloody.

I hadn't considered water quality, I'll buy a water testing kit tomorrow and post the results.
Once again thank you for your reply, I really do appreciate your help. :thanks:

Ok, we can help get you you on track! A liquid test kit (API is recommended) as well as a good water conditioner such as Prime is a must. I honestly would return/exchange the 48l for 120+l (30g) tank. Going from a 6g tank to a 12g isnt going to be a big improvement unfortunately. In a year, your goldies will be suffering the effects of being in such a small tank & likely will be stunted. I honestly would change atleast 50% of their water daily until you can figure out your tank situation. The daily water changes will also help your injured goldie heal. Let us know how your test results look & we can further advise! Please dont hesitate to ask any questions!!! :)

Hello!:)

Thanks for your reply. I've carried out a 50% water change today and bought a testing kit. Here are the results...

Nitrate - had a slight pink tint to it but did not register on the chart making it less than 5.

Nitrite - had no colour change at all. making it less than 0.1.

Ammonia - was 0. Again the colour of the water did not change.

PH - 7.0

When carrying out the water change I added Tetra Aqua Safe, Melafix and half a teaspoon of aquarium salt.

I hope this information is enough. The fish's tail is black on the tips today but she's swimming around very happily and eating her food.

Thank you once again :flowers:

I am glad shes feeling better! An appetite is a very good sign! She will heal just fine as long as you keep the water healthy. It wont happen overnight & can take anywhere from a few wks to a few mths. Keep up the good work! :)

My word trying to take that photo was fun! ;-) found it very hard to get a decent picture. This is the best I could do, she's quite camera shy :)

You can just see the black on the very tip of her tail which is still damaged and missing a bit. Looking at this there is also a tiny bit of black on the bottom of her body, the part that connects to the tail.

Attachments

• image-4021320634.jpg
    image-4021320634.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 99
Wow never seen a Goldie that looks exactly like mine

Back
Top Bottom