Goldfish has got me worried.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is he looking any better yet? I am sorry I don't really know what else to do besides extra pwc and giving him time to adjust. Hopefully jlk (or somebody else who knows more about goldies than me) can help you out more.

stevebb0611 said:
so did I get the wrong test kit? He has plenty of hiding places- he just seems crazy now. he went from 1-gallon into 20-gallons he should be super happy!

If you just got a ph kit, yes. You need to be testing for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to monitor the cycle going on in the tank.

Keep the lights off permanently until he settles in. Did you get a test for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate yet? If not, continue to do daily 50% wcs until you can test to see what is happening in your tank. His behavior sounds like a mix of stress & a possible water quality issues. Make sure theres lots of places to hide/cover for him to make him feel more secure.

Test Kit results:
Ammonia: .50ppm Nitrite: 0ppm Nitrate: 0ppm

did I do something wrong in the testing to give me double zeros?
recommendations on how to fit?

Make sure you test your tap water as well. If your tap has zero ammonia, then I would do a water change to drop your ammonia lower. The nitrite test is likely correct. The nitrate test though is pretty finicky. You need to really shake the bottles hard for few mins while banging them on a hard surface because the reagents can clump leading to an inaccurate result. Retest the nitrates in your tank after hefty shaking/banging (make you are using both bottles in proper order for test). Let us know how everything looks!

Still getting the same results. My goldfish is still alive but clearly not as swimmy as he used to be; he still prefers to float around.
I'm still doing pwc every other day or so.
My latest levels (haven't changed much)
Ammonia:1.0ppm Nitrite: 0ppm Nitrate: 0ppm (since its a goldfish do I still need to be doing a pH test?)

would adding another goldfish help out the situation?

also its got a filter that hooks onto the tank and "waterfalls" back in- I've noticed this created a current that he's not taking a liking to. In fact it seems a little strong, should I look into getting an underwater filter along with an air stone?

Please don't add another goldfish!

Plants should help make some hiding places, hardy live plants or smooth leaves in plastic plants or silk, someplace for him to feel secure. Do some research on tank mates, more goldfish require much more space and really strong filtration.

If you have a hang on the back/ HOB filter, you can get a piece of filter media replacement pad and tuck a piece appx. the size of your filter pad into the out flow into the tank, it helps diffuse the flow of water.

Then maybe after the tank is established and you see if your goldie is doing well and adjusting to new life in a bigger space, you can see what steps to take next.

No pH test needed right now. You are using the same water out of your tap each pwc right? Should be the same more or less, the same pH.

Adding extra bubbler is good to keep oxygen up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom