Goldfish Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tracievit

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a red cap oranda goldfish in a 10 gallon tank, and I noticed the first couple "dots" of ich today. I bought Super Ich to do the first treatment, and I'm noticing the spores are increasing. I know that it seems to get worse before it gets better, but do I need to purchase a heater to speed up the process? The tank has only been set up for a couple of weeks, and I don't want to overly stress my new fish!

Thank you for the links!! I put in the Super Ich about 14 hours ago. I can't get a good photo because he's swimming too fast, but there are three of the 'cysts' on the orange part of his head. The ammonia level is .02 and the pH is 7.6. I don't have a nitrite/nitrate tester, but I'm guessing that's the next thing I should get. I had received two fish as a surprise gift so I didn't know about "cycling" before putting the fish in the tank, and already lost one last week. I replaced some of the water after the other fish died.

The fish mostly stays swimming at the top of the tank, seemingly agitated, and going under the bubbles the filter creates, sometimes eating them. He had been doing this most of yesterday before I noticed the couple of white spots appear. I only feed him once a day and have always pushed the food down.

Attachments

• 20130305_083537.jpg
    20130305_083537.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 86
Ok, his behavior indicates a serious water quality issue. At a just few weeks into a cycle and with low ammonia, I suspect your nitrite is likely quite high. Nitrite is just as poisonous as ammonia. I would start by increasing your water changes with temperature matched, properly conditioned water to 50% atleast once a day though twice a day would be better. Once you have a more accurate means to test your parameters, you can adjust your water change schedule based on your numbers and his behavior.

Can you describe these 'cysts' better? Are they only on his head (wen area) or are they elsewhere on his body? It may not be ich but normal wen growth which looks like white 'pimples' or bumps. They may even have a 'fuzzy' or stringy appearance. Ich looks like tiny grains of sand dusted on a fish. It can appear anywhere on a fish but you may notice it more obviously on his tail/fins.

Just to clarify, you suggest changing 50% of the water 1-2 times a day? I also have a gravel vacuum that I started using. I will do that right now.

The growths appear to only be on the orange part of his head. They look like small pimples. I wish I could get a better picture to show you, but I'm looking closely and I don't see them elsewhere on his body. I'll go get a nitrate/nitrite tester today. Is there anything else I should do to keep the nitrite level from getting too high in the future? Continue with consistent water changes? Thank you so much for your help and patience.

50% for right now. Once you are able to test your water, we can make further recommendations. Liquid tests, such as the API tests, are suggested as they are more accurate. A good water conditioner such as Prime or Amquel Plus will also be of a big help as they temporarily detox any ammonia or nitrite between water changes.

Do you have anyone that can help with a pic? Have someone ready with a camera and gently pick him up by his tummy with clean hands and have someone snap a pic of his head. Or, you can place him in a small container of water and snap a pic of his head. My guess is it just may be wen growth and this does not require any treatment because it is normal but I do not know this absolutely without seeing it. Please ask any questions! :)

I wish I had a better camera, the pictures are much too blurry but I found one online that has growths identical to the ones on my fish. Only his are on the very back of his wen and one on the side. I live in Chicago and I know our city water has a lot of additives in it, so I've been running the water through the Brita filter and using a water conditioner. I'm snowed in right now but will try to get a nitrate/nitrite tester today and report back with the readings.

Attachments

• blues_white_spot.jpg
    blues_white_spot.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,547
Its not ich and looks like normal wen development. Do keep an eye on it though because in rare cases a fish can develop a more serious infection. :)

Well I'm relieved it's not Ich. I think this fish has been through enough with this ignorant fish owner! I just tested the water and this is what I got:

Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: .1
alkalinity: 180
pH: 8.4

(This is after the 50% water change from earlier)

The person at the pet shop told me to buy a cycling/conditioning kit that included stress relief, Microbe-Lift, and Nite-out, but I haven't opened or used it yet. If you have any more suggestions I'd be very grateful! You've been incredibly helpful!

I just tested the water again after replacing some again a few hours ago, and the nitrite is down to almost 0 and the pH is at 7.6. My fish seems to be settling down a bit too but I'll keep a close eye on him. Thank you for all of your help today I think I would have lost my fish today without your help!!

Don't worry about the microbe kit or whatever they gave you. They are bottled bacteria products that have a not so hot track record of doing anything beyond emptying your wallet. Just stay on top of your testing and water changes. Try to aim to keep your ammonia and nitrite at or preferably below .25ppm. Work getting him eating a nutritious diet, too. He should fatten up and have a healthy sheen as his water and diet improves. If you have any questions, just ask! :)

Back
Top Bottom