Goldfish keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yahooandgoogle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi a fish tank at my work has two fish now just this year along 6 goldfish have died.
I'm the only one who looks after this tank. It has a external filter and I have set up an air pump for them.
The tank is very small like 45 litres I know it's way too small even for one goldfish I have tried telling them to rehome the fish or set up a tropical tank with maybe a Betta or something smaller.

Anyway I do weekly water changes and replace the cartridge when it needs replacing I feed them blood worms as a treat.
In the tank they have this coloured gavel that is flaking off its the cheap nasty stuff you buy at the cheap shops I am replacing this with gravel as they don't won't to rehome the fish will it be ok to remove the fish and most of their water while I remove the old rocks and add the new ones? I don't want to cause any extra stress to the fish. I have spring water to top up what I take out. I was thinking the paint may be causing the fish to die if they have been eating the paint and the small tank isn't helping. The levels are normally really good and the fish are not over fed.

Would this gravel be causing the fish to die?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Please no nasty comments I do my best to help the fish I have also asked if I can take them home.

If i were you, i would suggest that you switch to sand. Pool filter sand or regular play sand washed out. i suspect that the substrate/ bottom of the tank is just nasty from food and poo over the years and the fish are a little stressed. 2 goldfish is not that bad for a ten gallon tank. I would just mention that "ya maybe they are dying because its dirty or overcrowded, thats what i heard on a fish forum where i asked about it, and they suggested to take it down and make it more natural looking" so that way you get to clean the tank and put sand in it, so nothing falls into the cracks of the gravel to decompose. maybe try a more "natural" looking tank, not the dumb colored gravel but some sand and plants or driftwood. And IMO, 3 young goldfish would do just fine in a ten.

Thanks for replying. I kept most of the tank water today when I took the gravel out. They don't have any gravel in at the moment but it looks a lot better than it did. The paint was chipping off and no doubt the fish would have been eating it. I spoke to the lady whos fish they are and she is getting some sand for the tank and I am going to buy then a couple of silk plants for the tank fingers crossed they will be ok now.

I left most of the water as I didn't want the tank to go through a cycle process again

If i were you, i would suggest that you switch to sand. Pool filter sand or regular play sand washed out. i suspect that the substrate/ bottom of the tank is just nasty from food and poo over the years and the fish are a little stressed. 2 goldfish is not that bad for a ten gallon tank. I would just mention that "ya maybe they are dying because its dirty or overcrowded, thats what i heard on a fish forum where i asked about it, and they suggested to take it down and make it more natural looking" so that way you get to clean the tank and put sand in it, so nothing falls into the cracks of the gravel to decompose. maybe try a more "natural" looking tank, not the dumb colored gravel but some sand and plants or driftwood. And IMO, 3 young goldfish would do just fine in a ten.

This is where we will disagree. Goldfish have quite a large bioload. I would offer to completely redo the tank with sand plants(fake for easy maintenance) and driftwood. Add some fish like harlequins and shrimp and it will be a nice tank that isn't over stocked and will probably stay stable if you keep on water changes.

Caleb

Thanks I'm going to suggest that to them I don't like my chances but.

This is where we will disagree. Goldfish have quite a large bioload. I would offer to completely redo the tank with sand plants(fake for easy maintenance) and driftwood. Add some fish like harlequins and shrimp and it will be a nice tank that isn't over stocked and will probably stay stable if you keep on water changes.

Caleb
Caleb, what exactly where you disagreeing with? You made the exact same point as i did..... Change the gravel to sand. Thats my point, and thats what he did, and he says it looks nicer. Im confused. :confused:

Caleb, what exactly where you disagreeing with? You made the exact same point as i did..... Change the gravel to sand. Thats my point, and thats what he did, and he says it looks nicer. Im confused. :confused:

"2 goldfish is not that bad for a 10g" that's where I disagree. Goldfish have a pretty big bioload. Not even 1 needs to be in a tank that size.

Caleb

Unfortunately they don't want to rehome the fish :-( I have since removed the old gravel and replaced with natural gravel. As they are not my fish there's no much I can do apart from continue to do my weekly changes and do what I can for them. Thanks everyone for your help I know this tank is way to small I am going to keep a look out for a second hand tank for them and go in on the holidays and change there tank if I get a hold of one.

Some live plants and a more powerful filter may help too. Adding Prime periodically (perhaps twice a week will help to detoxify some of the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) and large water changes - most of the cycle bacteria lives in the filter so bigger water changes should be okay and will help.

If any of the live plants leaves die remove them as soon as you can to help.

If oxygen is an issue then an air bubbler could help (are they gasping at the surface at all).

None of the above replaces a bigger tank (good idea to try and get one during vacations) they are pretty reasonable on Kijiji and the tank will look a lot nicer as well as goldfish being happier!

Oh yeah your right. 2 fancy goldfish is okay for a ten gallon when their young if you ask me. Im assuming their fancy?
Your right caleb, but ovbiously the people at his work don't know or care about proper fish care. Im just trying to propose a "workable" soliution nothing too drastic or they will make fun of him as a fish freak or something.

Oh yeah your right. 2 fancy goldfish is okay for a ten gallon when their young if you ask me. Im assuming their fancy?

Your right caleb, but ovbiously the people at his work don't know or care about proper fish care. Im just trying to propose a "workable" soliution nothing too drastic or they will make fun of him as a fish freak or something.

Someone calling me a fish freak would be a compliment :D I understand though.

Caleb

Young is ambiguous and doesn't really describe the situation. IMO even 2 3" goldfish is too much in a ten. Really even if they're 2". Basically goldfish never belong in a 10 gallon.

To the OP: I understand your situation and realize there isn't much you can do. Maybe show them a pic of what the tank could look like with a few small tropical tetras/barbs and some natural decor.

If stuck with goldfish I second the sand idea, all you can do is over filter and try large weekly water changes while keeping feeding to a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom