Goldfish lesion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishpie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone offer me some advice on this goldfish? The photograph shows a small area of missing scales behind the gill on one side. The fish doesn't show any sign of distress, but the problem has been present for a couple of weeks now and does not appear to be improving.
The fish is one of two kept in a 100-litre tank. A 30-litre water change is done each week and the most recent water parameters were all healthy. The fish has been in the tank for three months and is eating well (as ever!).
I am relatively new to fish-keeping and don't know whether this is something I could or should treat.
Fishpie

Attachments

• Fish1.JPG
    Fish1.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 67
Hi, welcome. That actually looks pretty deep to me - any ideas on how it started?

Is it looking clean? I can't see anything in there on the iPhone but are you thinking a bacterial lesion rather than a wound?

Last one is what are all the readings? And I assume you are using a solution / vial testkit?

If it gets worse I'd try something like tetra fungus guard

http://www.thatpetplace.com/fungus-guard-tabs-8pk

'Contains two antibiotics as Furan 2 (nitrofurazone & furizolidone) and an anti fungal (potassium dichromate). The fura antibiotics are milder, older meds. The Kdichromate is a strong oxidizer.'

Delapool,
Thanks for your reply. To my untutored eye it looks more like a physical injury - if it were on a human it would be an abrasion (and really sore). The wound, if that's what it is, is completely clean.

Water parameters (with a solution kit) on 12th Nov: pH 8.2, Ammonia 0.25, Nitrate 10, Nitrite 0, Temp 19.4. These have been stable for a long time.

The injured fish is a relative newcomer. I don't hink there are any rough edges on anything in the tank (the other fish has never shown sign of injury) so is it possible that the more established fish has attacked the newcomer?

Either way, the fungus advice seems sensible. Thanks for that.

Fishpie

Yes, it looks clean to me as well.

Just looks quite deep in photo - more so than I've seen from injuries or wounds.

Thanks for posting tank info. Looks ok, ammonia slightly high vs your ph. May indicate some instability which might not be helping.

Normally I'd go for just clean water but given the length with no progress some sort of medicated feed with antibiotics or the tetra fungus guard (with the furan 2) would be my next try for him to nudge him over to improving.

Hi there! I think you should buy some aquarium salt. It works miracles for goldfish.!! Before using all the meds. It will however take a toll on any plants you have. Also do some extra water changes to drop the ammonia level to 0. Ph is a bit high for goldfish also. They like 7.2 to 7.6.

Thanks for the advice. Catdaly, you're right about the ph and the ammonia.I am sure the tank is properly cycled but I've never managed to get the ammonia to hit zero -- it always looks the wrong shade of green in tests. I'll increase the water changes and see if it makes a difference. So, salt first then Tetra fungus. I'll get back to you.
I'm new to it, but really love the friendly, helpful way other fish people offer advice. Thank you.

The ammonia imo suggests either too high a bioload for tank (I mention this as the tank size will end up too small for goldfish) or filter cleans / filter pad replacements are too aggressive (destroying / removing good bacteria) or there is ammonia in tap water or tank is new and hasn't cycled yet. I think you mentioned this tank had been going for some time - you could try testing the tap water used for water changes and see what readings you get.

Thanks for the advice. Catdaly, you're right about the ph and the ammonia.I am sure the tank is properly cycled but I've never managed to get the ammonia to hit zero -- it always looks the wrong shade of green in tests. I'll increase the water changes and see if it makes a difference. So, salt first then Tetra fungus. I'll get back to you.

I'm new to it, but really love the friendly, helpful way other fish people offer advice. Thank you.

Glad to help! Make sure it is "aquarium salt" if you decide to go that route

Back
Top Bottom