Goldfish questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betta1987

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Goldfish seem unhappy.. they all stick in the corner of the tank and a couple days ago my red fantail had a black patch by his tail and on the fins and now its gone... what's going on? I'm a new fish owner so go easy on me :). Also I bought a black moore from a local pet store and I realized after seeing pics of other moores he is not a normal fantail because he has one tail. Or no fantail. But its not chewed or damaged and seems otherwise healthy,, is it possible its a birth defect or a hybrid ?

A black patch might be a sign of ammonia poisoning. Have you cleaned your water lately? Could we see a picture of the moore?

Well it could be because of the pet store yes after cleaning, changing water and new filter cartridge the black patch went away. I'll snap a pic of the moore if he holds still. They act like puppies when they see me and wiggle as if theyre wagging their tails lol

Yea it might have just been the pet store. How big is your tank though? Goldfish need 10 gallons each or else you have to change the water so often you'll be able to change the water with your tears (You know because you would cry that it's so much work and you'll have enough tears to change the water with? Poor joke. Why did I type it. Oh why brain?)
That IS a strange moore. I think it might just be a deformity or a hybrid. You don't have to worry unless if it's detrimental in any way. Really interesting though, it's like someone slapped a comet tail on a moore! I'm leaning more to it being a deformity though because it's body in no way resembles other fish. That one is an interesting fish.

Its a 5 gal. The pet store workers had said it was fine but I'm finding out you can't listen to them! :(

Pet store workers will tell you anything to sell stuff. I think there was only one time I met a worker who told me each goldfish needed 10 gallons (the guy that scooped my current goldfish back in 2008 haha)

What's his name gonna be?

10 gallons per goldfish is a bit on the small side. Most people here recommend 20 for the first and then 10 gallons per additional goldfish at minimum.

His name is onyx. And wow I cannot get a 55 gal rigbt now lol

Well the general rule is 20 g for the first and 10 each after. In my opinon 10g is usually okay as long as water changes happen weekly or sometimes bi-weekly. Just my opinon experience though.

Onyx is an adorable name.

Yah hes not very big. Theyre all less than 2 inches long. Pearlscale is smallest. I change water bi weekly ive had them for 1.5 months

I wouldn't do a 10 just because of how big they can get. Sure with proper maintenance and filtration you could keep the water quality good enough but it doesn't take them that long to get to be over 6" long, and they can get much bigger than that. Thus why I don't have any goldfish anymore - no room for any more tanks big enough!

That's probably the best plan. Know of anyone (or a local business) with a pond that you could donate them to? In a 20 gallon you could do tropical fish if you add a heater or *one* fancy goldfish like a fantail, oranda, or black moor. Or any other "fancy" variety - the kind with a body shape similar to the examples I listed. Either way I would make sure the tank is cycled before you add any fish after you rehome the ones you have.

Your 'odd' moor is a nymph. I have one as well. Not hybrid but a single tail moor is a fairly common genetic occurrence- kind of natures way of trying revert to the single tail ancestors fancies were bred from. Most breeders consider it a major flaw to have any fancy variety with a single tail and cull all fry with this characteristic. He happened to be lucky enough to be overlooked.

Oh.. I like my moor. Hes very nice. We got a bigger tank for them and are keeping them.

Back
Top Bottom