goldfish tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big b

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello I am thinking about starting a 29 gallon goldfish tank. I would like at least 1 black moor goldfish. I know the rule is 20 gallons for the first then 10 more for each additional goldie. I hear that goldfish are actually schooling fish. And I know that 3 would be a school I guess but I can't keep 3 in this tank, but I would like him to have a friend so he doesn't grow lonely and that stuff. Plus I hear it's better if they are around other goldfish. Would two 10 gallon water changes a week allow me to keep 2 black moor goldfish? I can up the water change to two 15 gallons per week if need be.

Oh yeah I forgot to say the filtration. I am going to be using an Eheim Classic 2215.

I actually do have the tank already. Judging by the size of that fish I am presuming only 1?

Wait so I can do 1 but it will need a bigger tank eventually?

Aww I really like black moors. Is there any fish that looks like them?

Wait I am not following. Are you saying that a single black moor will outgrow the tank or he will not outgrow the tank?

He will eventually outgrow the tank, they can reportedly reach 8-10 inches which requires more than a 29. But that will take time, if you're set on it you could keep one up to a year before it will outgrow the tank.

Well I most likely won't be able to get him a bigger tank by then, my biggest tank is a 38 gallon and that takes up a lot of room in my bedroom.

Yeah I realize that now that visual really put things into perspective.

It is quite surprising how large a Goldfish can get with proper care. This is why I show off that thread every chance I get because I never really understood that until I saw the pics! Maybe I still don't fully comprehend how amazing a Goldfish can be as haven't seen such a quality fancy Goldie in person.

You can always check restaurant shelving Lots of times you can get them used, or a good double iron stand and double stack the tanks. Vertical space = more tanks space! lol

More tanks+ My floor breaks. I am right above the basement. The biggest I dare to go is 38 gallons. But I know that is I wanted to I could have up to a 70 gallon tank. I found that out by weight. My 38 gallon weighs roughly 400 pounds. I used concrete blocks for a stand which weigh 30 pounds each So 360 pounds for the stand. Which equals to over 700 pounds.

You want me to get more tanks don't you :p But I should tell you our basement if flooded.... We are like the only people in our neighborhood that has a basement -_-.

Back
Top Bottom