Goldfish turning Yellow???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
My reg. Fantail goldfish is turning yellow around his head and the underside off his mouth. Has anyone seen this before? What could cause it? I've heard that some small amounts of salt should be added with goldfish, is that true?

Probably completley normal. All goldfish change colors at some point in their lives, usually in the juvenile stages. Take it as a good sign. It means your fish is healthy and carrying on a normal life. :wink:

Also, FYI (and I might be slightly off on this fact) but all goldies are born brown/black and then develop their color as they age.

Devilish is right, goldies only get the gold colours as they age. As a general rule, they lose the juvenile black spots after 6-9 months. Also, all black goldies <an oxymoron!> will gradually lose the black colour as they age & eventually turn a brown colour in old age.

It is said that keeping goldies with dark background will help them retain their colour ... don't know how true this is .... but one of my calico turned almost all red/white in a QT with white gravel, and the black spots returned magically after a few hours in the main tank with dark gravel.

Regarding adding salt to goldfish ... that is a controversial subject. Some say that low level of salt (1.002) help prevent infections, others say that is bull .... I personally don't add salt unless treating something.

I used to have a "black moor" that turned completey orange over the course of two years. Over time, I've noticed different colors of scales showing up on pretty much every goldfish I've ever owned.

Ok. I've had the goldfish for almost two years. He's been just red and white up until a couple weeks ago when some yellow started appear on his head. I hope it is normal.

Thanks for the help. :)

Back
Top Bottom