Goldfosh has somethong on his eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freyar

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed that my goldfish has something on his eye. Does anyone know what it is? I'm doing 50-80% water changes almost every day and I'm using API stress coat+ his behavior is normal and he's eating. his poop is normal.

image-4282764212.jpg

He was only in that tank for like 2 minutes don't worry. Please help me. I don't want him to die

Hi! Can you provide us with some more information?

Tank size?
Is it cycled?
Parameters?
Tankmates?
How long have you have had him?
Did this symptom appear overnight or gradually?
Any other symptoms?

From the pic, its quite difficult to tell what you are referring to. It looks like theres a blur of reddish on the top of his eye but nothing definite. Can you provide a more accurate description? Is it a blister, a growth, a parasite, an injury? Is the eye swollen or protruding or bleeding? More info will help us to help you better!

Hi! Can you provide us with some more information?

Tank size?
Is it cycled?
Parameters?
Tankmates?
How long have you have had him?
Did this symptom appear overnight or gradually?
Any other symptoms?

From the pic, its quite difficult to tell what you are referring to. It looks like theres a blur of reddish on the top of his eye but nothing definite. Can you provide a more accurate description? Is it a blister, a growth, a parasite, an injury? Is the eye swollen or protruding or bleeding? More info will help us to help you better!

It's 5 gallons but I'm moving him into a 55 gallon soon probably if he gets better. Yes its cycled. He's alone in that tank. I've had him for a while now. It happened overnight but it seems to sometimes get bigger and sometimes smaller. The lump is the only thing that's different.

Saying there's a lump is a bit vague. A better pic would help. A 5g is impossibly small for any goldfish & if you have had him awhile, I have to be suspect of the water parameters playing a big factor in his condition even with daily big water changes. You can add a single level tablespoon of aquarium salt & see if this helps. Predissolve it some tank water & add slowly over 24hr period of time. Only add back what you remove with water changes. Without being able to id the issue & not knowing his water parameters, it's difficult to suggest an appropriate treatment.

The "lump" isn't bleeding, its a whitish yellow color and it has very very very thin red lines. They are barely visible. I really want to put him in a bigger tank but my 55 gallon is cycling.

Goldfish do commonly get benign growths that are believed to be the result of a virus. If what your describing is white with veins (the redlines), this may be what it is. They can come & go over any given period of time and there is no guarenteed treatment. An aquatic vet can remove it if it becomes very large or is impacting his quality of life or they can treat with an anti-viral med. If you notice changes in the lump such as discharge, bleeding, fuzziness or hair-like strands/tufts, then this is something that will be need to be addressed because it indicates a possible bacterial or fungal infection. Keep his water as healthy as possible & keep a close eye on him for now. Fish have great capacity to heal themselves from minor issues with nothing special other than healthy water. Keep us posted if you notice any changes or if it becomes more concerning!

Ok right now I was just watching him and he stopped moving and floated until he bumped into a wall then jumped forward. He just started floating around and not being very active. then he became normal again after about 20 minutes. Also during that time he tilted just maybe 30 degrees and his head was a bit lower than his tail. Is this really bad? What can I do?

Change his water with temperature-matched, properly conditioned as soon as possible. Change it again in the morning. You should really consider investing in an API Freshwater master test kit as soon as possible as well.

What do you feed him? Floatiness issues can be linked to both poor water quality and poor diet although fancies are prone to swimbladder issues due to their physical conformation. Providing them with the best environment/water quality & diet you can goes a long way to keeping fish healthy.

I am not sure of the country you reside in respect to your access to meds- some countries are very strict with fish meds. You can try erythromycin (label name Maracyn) if you have access to it. If it doesnt prove effective, then gentamycin. The issue will be that he has to have healthy water or all the meds in the world will not be effective. If you can buy an inexpensive 20g plastic storage container along with a bigger filter & some type of aeration, this would be a big improvement over his present home. Move the media from your small filter to the bigger filter or run it alongside the other filter. You will then be able to manage a big water change once a day while treating with meds. We can further advise on how to do this if you are able to go this route. I woud not attempt medicating in the 5g because you can not control the water quality. You will need a liquid test kit as I advised in the previous post as well because his water will have to be carefully monitored.

For feeding, he needs daily plain cooked veggies (not canned) in addition to a quality sinking goldfish pellet. Hikari, Pro-Gold & NLS are all recommended brands for sinking goldfish pellets. If he continues to floaty issues after an improvment in his diet AND healthy water, you may need to switch to a gel food diet. Your water quality is VITAL here and I can not stress enough the importance of him having healthy & adequate water if you want him to be healthy & happy.

I am currently waiting for him to settle in in a 15 gallon tank. I just noticed that his poop is little black balls. Also he just ate two boiled shelled peas. I think the eye lump is going down though. Thanks for helping menu really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom