good external filter please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You cant go wrong with eheim or fluval. Did you look at the 2213 or 2215? Youll struggle to find a bad review.

Just having a look now, this phone takes about 5 minutes to load each page lol

Flow and filtration are different things though arnt they. Fluval 06 series are much more slender than the eheims so biological filtration in the eheims should be better.

...depending on the bio-media you put in...

Well no, not really.. The canister of the eheims are wider so whatever you can fit in a fluval, you'd be able to fit in an eheim. We have to talk about equivalent types of media otherwise its pointless, no?

molliwopp, you're def correct in that flow and filtration are two different things. I just mentioned the flow because I had an eheim on a tank that the amount of filtration was appropriate for, but the flow was very very weak and resulted in a algae explosion on the opposite side of the tank! haha
So that's the only reason I mentioned it.
btw, the more media in a filter the better.

molliwopp, you're def correct in that flow and filtration are two different things. I just mentioned the flow because I had an eheim on a tank that the amount of filtration was appropriate for, but the flow was very very weak and resulted in a algae explosion on the opposite side of the tank! haha
So that's the only reason I mentioned it.
btw, the more media in a filter the better.

I wasnt trying to argue with you I was adding my 2pence from my knowledge. But people tend to think its a personal attack or challange. Well are you sure you had the right canister for the size of your tank? Which eheim did you have?

We're on thread targets lol, were debating filters which could help OP or people in the future decide on which one they buy.

Although we're on topic about filter types. The OP stated something that has me concerned....

"The tank is always dirty and cloudy" and "the filter isn't doing a good job at keeping the water clear or clean"

Lets take a step back and try and figure out why the OP's water is the way it is... It's just a filter issue IMO. The feeding schedule and water schedule seems ok, maybe a bacterial bloom? In that case no filter will help until its finished.

That's just the tip of the iceberg IMO, we can advise the OP on what filters we think are better etc etc etc. but let's try and get to the root of problem.

Or am I wrong?

Sorry my phone hadn't notified me of the replies. Basically as soon as I clean the filter media in old tank water they seem to get really dirty really quickly, causing them to get slightly clogged and reducing the pressure of the output flow if that makes sense? And it always looks like there's tiny bits floating around in the tank which the filter should be sucking up. I don't have this problem in my goldfish tankwhich has the same feeding and water change schedule with better filtration

Back
Top Bottom