Good timer for lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozorowsky

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got my lighting in stock; metal halide, actinics and led moon lighting.

What do you guys use/recommend for a timer(s) that will independantely control my lights; they currently have separate power cords for each light, I just need to find a clean way to run timers. Any help?

From what I've read, many people here just use the cheap Walmart timers. I've used them in the past with no problems but have not been able to find them locally lately.

Coralife all the way.. I have 3 timers of theres.. UL rated they are convienent and dependeable

The bit better ones at a home supply store with surge protectors and what not are a good option too, as good as aquarium rated just with out the aquarium price

The bit better ones at a home supply store with surge protectors and what not are a good option too, as good as aquarium rated just with out the aquarium price

Thanks all. What I'm wondering though is if there is a surge made that has multiple timers built in. I have two 36" lights that I want to put each light set on its own timer. For example each light has three power cords. one cord for each light. I want to be able to put two power cords to one part of a surge to control that light, two to another part for that light and so on.

No problem
If you want white, actinic, and moonlight you'll have to get the dual version
if you just want white and actinic you can get the other one

It's nice to have it all on one timer because I use that to reverse cycle my fuge light

I use the "el cheapo" brand timers. I have several of them plugged into a surge protector that is plugged into a GFCI wall outlet. That outlet is the only thing on that electrical circuit. I ran it especially for the aquarium. GFCI is a must. Electricity and water mix way too well together. UL listed is also important too. At least in the USA. "Safety never takes a break" Lol.

I'm sorry but my Coralife timer has Ben nothing but trouble for me. It may be because I have the digital one. You can not set up each individual socket for it's own time. You basically setup the yellow ones and the blue ones go on when the yellow go off. So you cannot make the actinics go on, and then have the main lights come on, they both would come on at the same time.

I'm sorry but my Coralife timer has Ben nothing but trouble for me. It may be because I have the digital one. You can not set up each individual socket for it's own time. You basically setup the yellow ones and the blue ones go on when the yellow go off. So you cannot make the actinics go on, and then have the main lights come on, they both would come on at the same time.

How has it been nothing but trouble?

That is exactly how it is designed to function. You should have gotten the dual timer one, not the single(or two singles). Bashing it because it isn't what you need isn't fair.

I have the digital one and have had no problems.

Oh, it also doesn't turn on the lights on time. It's set to on, and I read online that you might need to let it cycle for a day so I did just that and it's still did not turn on. I wasted $30 on a power strip because I have to still turn on the lights on/off manually. Go with cheaper wal-mart timers.

I have a digital as well GE digital timer 20$ at walmart with 8 on off settings had it for a long time now it also has a battery backup

ryan-peddle said:
I have a digital as well GE digital timer 20$ at walmart with 8 on off settings had it for a long time now it also has a battery backup

Can you customize each socket for different times?

Batteryback up would be a very nice accomidation.. How long is the back up rated for?

Yes you can customize each socket they are even labeled for easy set up which was easy took 5 mins

The battery back up is good for 36 hrs and the plug charges it so when the power goes out you don't have to reset it

I rely on this unit to keep my photo period at 8 hrs cause I have a lot of money in plants and I want optimal growth and I am happy as could be with it and would recommend it to anyone like I said it's 3 years old I think and does it's job and never had to reset it

Back
Top Bottom