Got the co2 system, now a couple of quick questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jestes

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I got my co2 system in today! I have two quick questions.

1. How long does it take the co2 to build up in the water? I dont want to check my kh/ph after thirty minutes if it takes an hour, and so on.

2. Does anyone have a rough idea how many bubbles per second Ill need on a 55 gallon? I know thats going to depend on many different things, but I'm looking for a ballpark figure.

co2 usually takes about an hour or so.

the kh ph table isnt the most reliable way to check co2 levels so dont expect it to be completely accurate

it really depends on your lighting levels, amount of plants, and how much surface agitation you have, your kh, etc.

so i would prob start with 1-2 bubbles per sec. keep a close eye on things and gradually increase it from there.

how are you diffusing it?

I would check it after like an hour. I know it takes around an hour for my drop checker to turn green after the co2 comes on....that's just an estimate though...I don't think it takes more than an hour.

I'd try 2 bubbles per second then go from there, but really you should get a drop checker....those are the best way to check for co2 levels IME.

1 like the others said but it really depends on how well you diffuse the co2. 1-2 hours.... when dialing in new tanks i start at 1pps and go up. ill let it sit for 2 hours or so test. if its too little bump it up a little. if you get to a point where its too much put a air stone in there to gas it out and start over.

once you think you have it dialed in i would check it though out the day over the next week. make sure its not to high.

Thanks everyone! I'll have to order a drop checker. I'm diffusing it into the intake on a canister filter. There's no bubbles coming out of the intake, so it's got to be dissolving. :)

Should I see pearling when the CO2 gets about right?

depends on the plants, but yeah, you will probably see pearling

Ok, so I'm a little confused about the drop checkers. It seems like they use a solution of distilled water, a KH of 4, and a few drops of regular PH solution seperated from the tank water by air. The thing I'm confused about is this: Isn't that basically the same as the regular PH method?

I'm also not seeing any pearling, which makes me think my CO2 levels aren't high enough. I tried up to 2 bps, which dropped my ph from 7.6 to 6.2. According to the chart, that means I've got over 100ppm of Co2, but the fish never changed their behavior. No gasping or anything. You guys said the PH method isn't the most accurate, but is it really that far off or do I have something throwing my readings off?

Thanks for all of the help. The planted side of this hobby is completely new to me. I'm enjoying it so far though! :)

its the same concept but its a visual representative.

just because you add co2 doesnt mean the plants will pearl. pearling happens when the water around the plant is over saturated. also co2 and o2 levels are independent. just because you have a high co2 wont mean you have a low o2. normally a drop of 1ph point is 30ppm.

Thanks everyone. I've got a drop checker on the way.

I do have another question though. Does anyome know at what pressure a milwaukee regulator will do an end of tank dump? I called milwaukee, and they claim it won't do it... I find that hard to believe.

do a search through the forums and try to find how many people have actually experienced the dump. very few.
the end of tank dump isnt a myth, it can happen.

however, when you bought your milwaukee regulator i bet it came with a needle valve. your needle valve will help to deal with the dump.

also, once you go pressurized, you dont want to run out. fluctuations in co2 cause algae. so you're more than likely to refill your tank before you run out.

Yeah that's the same issue I ran into. Not many people had actually experienced the dump, so I didn't really find any good info on when it would happen. The regulator did come with a needle valve, although it kinda sucks. I couldn't set a consistant bubble count using Milwaukee's method, so I ended up running my regulator pressure up to 30, and closing the needle valve nearly all the way. Although this does make the needle valve extremely sensetive, I can get a consistant bubble count now. It makes sense. Alot of regulators can't work effectively when the output pressure is near zero, so apparently the Milwaukee is no exception. I did find some research backing that up though.

I'm diffusing into the intake on my canister filter, which is working really well btw, so that should save my tank if the regulator takes a dump. I figure if it does, the intake tube will fill with CO2 and airlock the filter. Although it may cause damage to the filter, that's better than killing all my fish. Obviously the goal is to avoid the dump in the first place... :)

another thing that i dont get is that your diffusion method either way would have to be incredible to diffuse the dump to make it dangerous. i bet that you could put your co2 line in the tank and crank it and it will just bubble right out of the tank.

I am considering building a well planted tank, at what point do you need to add CO2? I could always steal the CO2 tank from my kegerator....nah flat beer is bad, guess I will have to get a spare. :p I am considering buying a 120g tank and turning my current 75g into a refugium/sump for the big tank. I have months before I get my aquariums out of storage so I am trying to research how to do it correctly. Thanks!

it depends on how healthy you want your plants. also how much light you have.

plants take in co2 during the day for photosynthesis. so the more light that you have the more growing the plants want to do. if you give them plenty of co2 and fertilizers your plants will grow to be very healthy.

you should start your own threads when you have questions that arent directly related to the original questions. its not my thread and i dont care that much. it just makes things less confusing that way

Well I saw some pearling earlier! Not too much, but there were two plants doing it. :) Now I have one other question: Anybody need some anacharis? Trimming three times a week is gonna get old fast... ;)

Back
Top Bottom