Gourami Battle lost, hope the danio isn't next.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Too late, he was dead when I got home today.

Fungus Clear? I hadn't tried that one. If the overly fat danio starts slowing down I'll try that on him. It's likely the same disease, but the danio doesn't yet seem to be negatively affected other than his appearance.

To my knowledge, there have been no new introductions to this group of fish in months, although there is a remote possiblity a pathogen came in on the plants. (I did not QT the plants, as thier primary purpose was to process ammonia during a sudden population increase.) If it's contagious, I may be seeing more cases in the near future.

On the upside, stress levels in the other fish are way down since the move to the 75 gallon. I even saw a pair of unidentified fish shimmying together.

I won't make any additions for a month or so, hopefully at that point i'll have enough algae to support some otocats.

FYI

In case anyone was wondering, it did not turn out to be difficult to split pills when I was dosing the 5 gallon. I used one of my sharp knives, and a plastic cutting board. The pills didn't even crumble, just snapped apart. The jungle tabs were even easier to split, I usually did that with my fingers, although the results were less even than the knife split ones.

What an incredible story. I really applaud you for taking such good care of fish that were obviously very much in need. I'm sorry that it didn't turn out as well as it could have, but it really sounds like you fought very hard to do all that you could.

It does feel good to have at least tried. I don't have personal regrets about the process, although it's dissapointing they died. (Not really sad, I hadn't had them long before they got sick.)

Fungus Clear? I hadn't tried that one. If the overly fat danio starts slowing down I'll try that on him. It's likely the same disease, but the danio doesn't yet seem to be negatively affected other than his appearance.

If it's dropsy, you'll want to go ahead and treat the whole tank. It's debatable whether or not the internal infectios are contagious. Some will say they are, some will say they aren't. I believe it wouldn't hurt to get it out of your tank instead of letting some other fish become ill with it. If I were you, I'd treat the whole tank. Especially if you are seeing some fat or lethargic fish.

Devilishturtles said:
It's likely the same disease, but the Danio doesn't yet seem to be negatively affected other than his appearance.
If it's dropsy, you'll want to go ahead and treat the whole tank.
I don't know, everyone is in the 75 gallon tank now, and everyone looks happier. I was never able to get the QT cycled with all that medication, and I don't want to have to do twice daily 50% changes on the 75 gallon. I don't want to hurt my plants (now my main filtration.) I don't want to try to recapture 20 fish and put them back into the crowded conditions that triggered the disease in the two that died. Besides all that, it didn't seem that any of the medications I tried helped any, so what's the point of dosing everyone with it?

The Danio has been fat for a month with no other symptoms, the pair that succumbed started showing symptoms in the first couple weeks I had them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom