Gourami not looking good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422485838.652905.jpg

Okay I just got home from work and my gourami has these little white spots all over him. He has been in the tank a few days (rehomed from another tank) and I haven't seen them till now. He came out and greeted me then went in here(pic) and hid. He hasn't hid since I put him in the tank. I just noticed he's laying more on his side. Should I quarantine?

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422488153.703328.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422488177.755698.jpg

That's the best I can get. He at least came out to eat.

Caleb

A quarantine isnt a bad idea. I think youd rather quarantine him just in case than keep him in that tank and potentially lose him! Best of luck!

URGENT. I thought it would be the dwarf gourami disease. It's most certainly not. The white spots are now on my black neon tetras. I came home to 3 of my 5 dead. I'm getting A heater for another tank tonight and removing all fish that I can tell as infected.

Does anyone have a clue what this might be? I have never dealt with disease before besides ick so I have no idea where to begin.

PLEASE HELP

Caleb

Need better pictures

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Need better pictures

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry. I think after looking at pics of fish with certain diseases that it looks like fungal and/or ick brought on by stress.

I've treated my tank and moved my loach temporarily(scaleless not good with medication).

Anything else I should do besides see if they clear up?

Caleb

Here is some better pictures. Getting worse but trying to treat.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422841367.788808.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422841392.758112.jpg

I'm using the All-In-One Remedy by MarineLand. Treated for 3 days now. Looks to be getting worse.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g tetras/dojo loach/clown pleco
~75g going to be African cichlids

Looks like ich. Medication won't help until the parasites are in the free floating stage, I'd do a water change and remove the medication using carbon. Then, raise the temperature of your tank slowly (1-2 degrees every 30-60 minutes) until your tank is at 86-90*F. Make sure to use an airstone and increase surface agitation since there is less oxygen in warmer water. The higher temperatures will speed up the life cycle of ich, so it will look worse at first, usually for the first three or four days, then will start looking better. Above 86 degrees the parasites can't reproduce, above 88 degrees they will start to die. Be sure to vacuum your substrate religiously since the parasites will be down there waiting for a host to swim by and keep water as clean as possible. Leave the temperatures increased for about two weeks, or at least a week after seeing all white spots gone from your fish to ensure the parasites are dead. You can also give your fish a salt bath in a separate container to help soothe their wounds and increase healing from the cysts.

When I had my first ich outbreak I tried medicating with API General cure and I lost fish because of the medication, when I treated the entire tank with the heat method everyone survived unharmed. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Looks like ich. Medication won't help until the parasites are in the free floating stage, I'd do a water change and remove the medication using carbon. Then, raise the temperature of your tank slowly (1-2 degrees every 30-60 minutes) until your tank is at 86-90*F. Make sure to use an airstone and increase surface agitation since there is less oxygen in warmer water. The higher temperatures will speed up the life cycle of ich, so it will look worse at first, usually for the first three or four days, then will start looking better. Above 86 degrees the parasites can't reproduce, above 88 degrees they will start to die. Be sure to vacuum your substrate religiously since the parasites will be down there waiting for a host to swim by and keep water as clean as possible. Leave the temperatures increased for about two weeks, or at least a week after seeing all white spots gone from your fish to ensure the parasites are dead. You can also give your fish a salt bath in a separate container to help soothe their wounds and increase healing from the cysts.

When I had my first ich outbreak I tried medicating with API General cure and I lost fish because of the medication, when I treated the entire tank with the heat method everyone survived unharmed. Good luck.

Thank you so much. I was beginning to lose hope. I've had 6 casualties and was beginning to lose hope. I will start this when I get home from work tonight!

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Yeah, it's pretty severe ich. Be sure that you get as much medicine out of the water through water changes and running carbon because the heat method along with the stress of medication on an already weakened fish can prove to be too much.

Yeah, it's pretty severe ich. Be sure that you get as much medicine out of the water through water changes and running carbon because the heat method along with the stress of medication on an already weakened fish can prove to be too much.

Will do ? if it doesn't work, well you will see a thread about stocking ideas.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Thanks again Nigel :)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423306133.207020.jpg
They are looking much much better!

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.

Good good good. Keep it up ?

How long till I can be 100% sure it's safe to add my loach back?

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Usually it's about a two week process to make sure any parasites are dead. What temperature is the tank at? I'd give it at least five days after seeing all the white spots disappear and not seeing anymore scratching.

Usually it's about a two week process to make sure any parasites are dead. What temperature is the tank at? I'd give it at least five days after seeing all the white spots disappear and not seeing anymore scratching.

I has been at 90 I lowered it the night before to 80(very slowly) after reading that your not supposed to keep it at 90 but a few days

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Two weeks since I noticed the ick...or...two weeks since they have cleared up? Just clarifying

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

You could go on and lower it. 90 would kill the parasites, anything below 86 though isn't going to have any effect. Just keep an eye to make sure they don't exhibit any signs of scratching but you should be good.

You could go on and lower it. 90 would kill the parasites, anything below 86 though isn't going to have any effect. Just keep an eye to make sure they don't exhibit any signs of scratching but you should be good.

I haven't seen any "scratching" to begin with but I guess that's a good sign!

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Back
Top Bottom